Feature Requests (1 Viewer)

Should there be a moderated "Feature Request" section?

• This is a good idea, but it could be better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care either way.

• I don't submit feature requests.

• I think it's a bad idea, but could be improved by....

• I think it's a horrible idea, don't waste our time with this!

• Total voters

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
Due to recent events, I had a thought that feature requests need to perhaps be moderated/structured a little more.

What I'm proposing is that anyone who wants to request a feature sends it by email (or another method....whatever) to a central "submission box".

That box is then combed through, weeding out similar/duplicate requests. The requests that are then left over get posted on the forums with a poll in which users can vote on it's importance (1-10 scale perhaps).

Requests that seem to be popular with the userbase will then be submitted for formal consideration by the developers.

I think this would be a fair way for everyone to have a say as to the feature that they want, and also to provide proper feedback as to features which are important to others.

What do you think?

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
I should have also put in the message that if you think it's a horrible idea, explain why!

It's all fine and dandy not to like the idea, but unless people post why they don't like it, or suggestions to improve, it doesn't really help. :)

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I think for most of the users out there... that can't code if there life depended on it.. would like to see something like this... I think we need a forum that has a list of possible features or plugin's. Then I think we need to vote on them. It's just like some of the plugin's or features added now. The ones that get the most posts and views and requests (showing interest) should be really considered.

Maybe we could have 2 forums... one that the developers would work on, and the other one is anyone who wants to pick it up if they wanted too. The developers could get a list of plugins or features and decide if they wanted to work on them. If not, they would go into the other list.

I personally think the dev's should be able to work and NOT work on the things they want... This is their project... and I am happy to be able to use THEIR project. Like many have said... If I don't like it... use something else. The main reason I am here.. is because I LIKE the product.. and I use the product... That goes for all of you. You don't post in the forums because you HATE media portal and it does NOTHING you want it to do... You hare here because you USE it and LIKE what it is doing for you so far.

I want to thank all of you who have contributed to Media portal in one way or another. Sometimes I forget that MP is FREE... where as the TIME you guys put into this project is NOT... I am sure all of you could be doing something else with your time but you choose to put it into MP and I thank you for that.

chili

Portal Pro
    September 20, 2004
    somewhere in the bowels of Texas
    I say screw the feature requests.. for now.

IMO, all involved should concentrate on getting the currently existing base app and features to a stable and easy to use version.

I also think that all non-working or orphaned plugins, skins and such should be removed. If someone (like Jean-Max?) wants to track all of that stuff seperately then cool, but that stuff doesn't need to be handily available for anyone to install and then complain that it doesn't work.

I have been out of town and just now read of Smirinoff's leaving. Just wanted to say... that sucks! I don't know how many times I have read some post from someone who doesn't do anything except demand and complain about a nice app that is basically a gift to us. It's actually embarassing to read, but is also a sign of the times and makes me wonder how the world will be once these sniveling-snot-nosed-brats inherit society.

Just 2 cents from a grateful user of free4ever software.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    stevepmcg said:
    Im personally of the opinion that we as users can request all we like but when it comes down to it we should just let the programmers take the app the way THEY envision it.

And this is pretty much what I'm thinking.....everyone can submit whatever requests they want and then based upon user interest/demand, the top ideas are the ones which get considered.

I also like Asidie's idea of having two different lists. Give the Developers first crack at feature requests and then the requests which they aren't interested in can potentially be picked up by users with programming experience.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Khris said:
    I should have also put in the message that if you think it's a horrible idea, explain why!

It's all fine and dandy not to like the idea, but unless people post why they don't like it, or suggestions to improve, it doesn't really help. :)

Sorry, was a quick vote, maybe even too quick. got a meeting to prepare which starts in an hour. will be back with some good reasons on the weekend.

tomtom

GitsLM

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    Germany / USA
    ASiDiE said:
    I think for most of the users out there... that can't code if there life depended on it.. would like to see something like this... I think we need a forum that has a list of possible features or plugin's. Then I think we need to vote on them. It's just like some of the plugin's or features added now. The ones that get the most posts and views and requests (showing interest) should be really considered.

I disagree with that. The devs should decide what they want to code or not.

I also think that we should immediatelly delete post bashing one something or someone, maybe even considering banning users if they do not behalf in a normal way. This is a community of free speech surely but not a place for some lunatics to feel good about bashing on something,one.

GitsLM

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    Germany / USA
    Hi again, I have started a list and will post a link as soon as it is imo finished. Then everyone can give feedback which I will implement. I still think that the devs should consider my idea about closing or deleting posted requests which are already reuqested. Since there will be a list to check it only saves them time. Feedback highly appreciated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom