Few quick questions... (1 Viewer)

andyFg

Portal Member
July 27, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

First off - great forum, great project and software from what I have seen :)

I have the following initial set up at the moment and want some quick advice....

Set up:

A dedicated server (Windows Home Server - not officially supported I know!) next to a HD LCD TV with a NOVA-T 500 and a Windows XP Media Center the other end. The server is running RC2 and only has integrated Intel g965 graphics :(

The home server is set up to serve the TV to the XP desktop which has the media portal client on and runs a ATI x800 GTO card.

Questions:
  • The XP machine is running media portal ok but performance isn't as good as media centre used to be across m network - any tips for this over a wired ethernet connection and would having a better and dedicated graphics card on the server help?
  • I would like the server to run mediaportal client as well as serve the xp machine and be hooked up to my LCD TV - is it ok to run the client on the smae pc that is the server for other clients?
  • Would the HD 2400 pro or HD 3650 be best for my needs in the server?
Thanks in advance for any help and advice in advance.

Andy

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Hi,

This thread was probably missed as its in the wrong Forum (MP 2 as opposed to MP1).

1. The graphics card on the server wont affect the performance on any other machines. the graphics card if used for video processing on the local machine only. so if you dont watch video on the server, theoretically you can have a useless graphics card and it wont make a difference.

2. Yes you can run the client on the same PC as the server, this is fine.

3. The Graphics card in the server will only help the video displayed at the server. i.e. the video decoding is done locally on the PC running the client. If you are only doing Video on the server, and no games, then a HD 3450 wouldd be fine! All the 34XX series have the same power when it comes to hardware acceleration. i have also read that the 3000 series are slightly better than the 2XXX series - cheaper too!

andyFg

Portal Member
    July 27, 2008
    Home Country
    This thread was probably missed as its in the wrong Forum (MP 2 as opposed to MP1).

Whoops sorry about that - I did think MediaPortal 1.0 RC1 meant the post should go in MP1 but I must have messed up after registering etc 1:oops:

Thanks for the reply as I understand everything you have said!

I will get the video card then as I want to display video on the server via my HD LCD TV as well as serving to the client pc(s).

I will have to have a play on the client PC's stuttering issue althoug this morning the TV worked perfectly but the DVD-B T radio here in the UK wouldn't work :confused:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I will have to have a play on the client PC's stuttering issue althoug this morning the TV worked perfectly but the DVD-B T radio here in the UK wouldn't work.

You need RC2 for radio to work correctly, problems with RC1 for radio, weather and various bits and it definately did not like the Hauppauge T500 (Fixed)

andyFg

Portal Member
    July 27, 2008
    Home Country
    I have RC2 installed on both the server and the client so not sure what the issue is as it did work a few times. I will have a play later this evening and get back to you.
    Cheers
    Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom