ffdshow upscale + TV + DVD @ 1366x768 (2 Viewers)

dekkers

Portal Pro
December 2, 2006
Maasdijk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
TV-Server Version: 0.3
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Two - Wide
Windows Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
CPU Type: Intel Dual 2 Core 6300 1.8GHz
HDD: Seagate 300 GB SATA
Memory: 2048 MB DDR
Motherboard: Intel DQ965GF
Motherboard Chipset: Intel DQ965GF
Motherboard Bios: CO96510J.86A.5882.2007.0413.0100, 13-4-2007
Video Card: XFX Geforce 7100GS (passive)
Video Card Driver: 6.14.11.6218
Sound Card: C-Media CMI8738/C3DX - spdif
Sound Card AC3: C-Media CMI8738/C3DX - spdif
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.1.643
1. TV Card: TechnoTrend Budget C1500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: 4.4.10.18
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV (gabest) + FFDshow Latest Build
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA (gabest) + FFDshow Latest Build
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Caiway
HTPC Case: Plain ATX
C8ooling: Default fans
Power Supply: Default 300 Watt
Remote: Logitech Universal Remote
TV: LG 37LC2R
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI->HDMI

I searched the forum but no topic was able to help me.

I'm using the following setup:
HTPC --> Nvidia 7100 --> DVI out put @ 1368x768 --> DVI/HMDI converter --> LG37LC2R 1:1 pixelmapping with 2 pixels overscan, LCD resolution is 1366x768

When i watch a movie, most of the time Xvid, i use ffdshow to scale up the movie to 1368x768. Then the picture quality comes close to HD. This is really perfect.

When i watch TV or and DVD (both MPEG2) it looks like it is impossible to get the image fully scaled. The resolution will be upgraded, but not fullscreen. Like this:

Code:
#tv###################
#                                           #
#     *******************     #
#     **tv image**********     #
#                                           #
#####################

Around the image there will be a large black bar. Top/Bottom and Left/Right. I did some changes on the ffdshow settings but nothings helps. If i watch an MPEG2 video within Mediaplayer Classic this is NOT happening. So my thoughts are it's in MP.

So, do you ppl have any clue how to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Dekkers

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i use ffdshow to scale up the movie to 1368x768. Then the picture quality comes close to HD. This is really perfect.

I don't understand why you bother to do this - upscaling cannot improve the quality of the picture as you cannot add new pixels that didn't exist in the original image. Unless you are using the "sharpening" or "de-noising" filters in ffdshow to artificially enhance the image, then I would expect that allowing your video card to do the upscaling is just as effective as using ffdshow, but more efficient?

dekkers

Portal Pro
    December 2, 2006
    Maasdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Taipan,

Thnx for the answer.

When just using the upscale part of ffdshow i think Xvid files are more sharpen, even when the denoise filters are not used. When doing this on MPEG2 the impact will be less, but you can see the difference (i do).

My goal is making it like an article on HTPCnews, wich is here. They explain how to make an DVD (=MPEG2) look like HD.

So I was testing this on MyTV just with upscaling, and if that worked out, adding denoise and sharpen filters. But, what i try, i can't get the picture fullscreen (no black borders left/right) without messing up the aspect ratio. If there are black border on top/bottom i can live with it.

I hope you understand what im trying to do.

greetz

Greetz

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I also use ffdshow to scale up my video playback. It currently works without problems in all sections (video, TV, DVD). I had the same issue you describe with old versions of ffdshow. Which version do you use? I am using the latest from here:
    http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

What codec do you use for in the sections (TV, DVD)?

MediaPlayer Classic uses its own codecs, therefore this does not happen with this player.

Taipan: Upscaling the picture with ffdshow and using filters like denoise and sharpen gives really a great picture improvement.

Flip.

dekkers

Portal Pro
    December 2, 2006
    Maasdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi FlipGer,

I'm using the FFdshow SVN builds in combination with the MPV codec.

Can you tell me wich build of ffdshow you are using and wich codec for TV and DVD

Thanks!

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm trying to do the same here.

When I exchanged my CRT for my new TFT (1366x768), I Noticed when set the aspect ratio to "fill" in mediaportal that the tv quality is really poor!, when using the origional aspect, the quality is good/acceptable, but having black borders around(sides and top/bottom) coz of the SD resolution of 720x568.

When watching HD Content, the screen looks fantastic.

I tried Cyberlink codecs, Nvidia Purevidea codecs and played already with FFD show, but I'm not a codec/graphfilter expert.

Can please someone make a how-to to make an upscaled SD PAL look good on my TFT. (If the screen looks like the internal analogue cable tuner I will be very happy!)

I really don't want to move my old CRT back in the living room. :-(

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Not a problem.. i can wait with in-patience.. LOL...
    It would be great to have a short starters guide on ffdshow / upscaling / with mediaportal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom