Ongoing Filling my new home with electronics (1 Viewer)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
November 9, 2008
Arendal
Home Country
Norway Norway
I've bought a "new" house from some old people, and want to install a lot of electronics in it, not just a MP client :) There are also some stuff/hardware i would like some input about, and in general i would love to get some good ideas for smarter/better solutions. I'll try to keep this clean and short.

Livingroom

I want to wallmount a Samsung UE46D6505 LED-LCD, and have a Harman/Kardon SB16 soundbar beneath it. I'm building my own tv stand which will house the htpc and a xbox360, and also this will be wallmounted (no legs). I'm thinking to mount the power supplies underneath that stand so they won't take up so much space inside the stand. In the wall behind, i'm putting up channels and pipes for electrical wiring, and all of this will end up in the attic. There i'll have my modem/wireless router and a switch. I'll pull down 3-4 Cat5e wires to home theater, for htpc, xbox, tv/sonos and maybe a spare. I'm thinking a optical link from tv to soundbar, hdmi from htpc and xbox to tv. I might put a Sonos in the loft also, and pull a digital coaxial to the soundbar, and i'll be putting a WD MyBook Live 3TB NAS up there.

HTPC :)

- Streacom F1C - Neat little case :)
- PicoPSU 160W or Iwill IWI-H33 160W
- Intel 520 SSD 120GB
- Corsair Vengance DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz Low profile
- Samsung Mini Bluetooth Keyboard - I really like this one, but i miss a matching BT mouse. Samsung's are not BT.
- Western Digital My Book Live 3TB
- MoBo and CPU, not yet decided, but i'll probably wait for Ivy Bridge on either Asus, Gigabyte or Zotac i guess, one with Intel 4000 GPU. Is H77 the most suiting chipset? has to be mITX. I don't think i'll be having a DVB card, i'll be streaming content exclusively. The case also sports a slim optical drive slot, but i think discs are old fashion...hmm.

Other stuff

In the attic, i want to put one or two Sonos Connect:Amp (ZP120), one for outside and maybe one for the bathroom, i'll do that later on when i replace the bathroom. However, i have a hard time finding out which outdoor speakers that will match the power of the Sonos Amp. I might also have a Sonos Connect (ZP80) in the attic connected to the soundbar in my livingroom, but i'm not sure if it's necessary.

To sum this up, i want minimalistic but potent equipment, like a soundbar instead of surround. The pros are that the ir receiver is in the bar, and not an amp in the tv stand. I want the tv stand to be closed to hide the stuff inside it. Btw, i'm replacing all of the electrical installation in the house, a lot of walls and have good access to the attic, so if there is anything i should consider, let me know :) Final questions:

- Bluetooth mouse, one that looks ok, black, and not in itty bitty tiny size.
- MoBo and CPU? Not certain yet, but i have an idea on Ivy Bridge.
- Outdoor speakers for a Sonos Connect:Amp (ZP120), have NO idea, lol.

Looks like i failed on the short part, lol. I'm not on a strict budget, but i'm not throwing money out the window either. Any ideas for improvements and other cool suggestions are very welcome

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sounds like my house ... media and TV server, 16 port GB LAN switch, VoiP gateway, ADSL modem, UPS in the attick, plenty LAN cables going down to every room.

A few remarks from my experience:

A NAS is nice, but a server that takes your TV tuner cards as well is nicest. Why do you put 3TB in the client, storage is what the NAS or server is for? If you only have the OS and MP on the client then a 64 GB SSD is more than enough. Keep the clients as simple (and quiet!) as possible.

Indeed pull enough LAN cables from the attick down, prevent that you need a switch and power adapter for that one device that you did not think of (VoiP phone). Don't rely on wireless for streaming.

Look at the Logitech wireless keyboard with touch pad (sorry don't know the reference, I'm travelling). A separate mouse is very inconvenient in your lap on the couch.

Do you by any chance also use a Siemens industrial PLC to control the garden and security lights :sneaky:.

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I know, but i do not plan on having a tv server this time, i don't think i'll be having a satellite or cable subscription at all, i never use it. I used to watch football matches, but atm they are cheaper, higher quality and greater selection on a streaming service i recently signed up for. Dunno if i might explaned unclear, but i do plan on putting the 3TB NAS in the attic. 64GB would probably do, but it's not that much more for a 120GB so i wont take chances, hoping this system will last for a good while. VoiP, i suppose that's the same as we call "broadband phone", never even tried one, so that's not something i consider atm, but i will put up a lot of RJ45 sockets in case i change my mind ;)

I know what you're saying about the mouse vs touchpad, and i've tried one at my friends place, a Logitech DiNivo or something. Looks nice, but the touchpad is kinda clumsy. Today i have a hughe HTPC, 440x440x180mm in size, similar to a random receiver. I use it very much as a regular computer as well, so having a normal mouse i practical to me.

PLC, haven't thought much about that yet, but not a stupid suggestion. I have also considered different smart/wireless electrical installations to be able to remote control heat, lights etc, but i'm not sure if it's worth it. Will need some re-thinking there and learn more about what's available/possible.

EDIT: I have found some more things to buy, such as the Targus Bluetooth Comfort Laser Mouse. Not a clear choice, but i can't find any better solution atm. It will probably do. And the HiFi club suggested B&W WM4 Outdoor speakers for my Sonos Connect:Amp Stereo. A bit pricey at ~€500, but quality costs, so i think i'll give it a try. I also looking at a Sony Optiarc BC5600S slim BD-Drive, because i can fit it in there. I'll probably never use it though, lol.

No one who got some insights on the Ivy Bridge platform, and what chipset would be the natural choice for a HTPC?

Thanks for your feedback :)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, i see that Intel is releasing the DH77DF mITX mobo, and that Asus already released the P8H77-I mobo. Asus is cheaper and has WiFi, but my gut tells me that the Intel is a better product (more expensive also). Anyone having any experience with Intel mobos? I'll be connecting it with a Cat5e cable anyways...

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The thing I really like about my Intel board for a HTPC is the fast boot option. I don't know if Asus has something comparable?

VdR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom