Films Freezing (1 Viewer)

2910grimster

Portal Member
November 17, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Members of MP Forums

I have having problems with some of my films I have ripped onto my HTPC

They are all from my own collection and play properly when through the DVD but with some of the ones on the HD
I get the following problems

Some start with a black screen but I get sound but no picture
Others freeze at the same points throughout the film then jump and miss big chunks of the film when I fast forward for a couple of seconds.
Also when FF the film does not move at a speeded up frame by frame but rather just updates the image every now and again

When I rip my films to the system i do the following.
I run anydvd then I run dvd shrink and shirink films to a max of 70% but some which still freeze are not shrunk
Then I run turbo vob on every film i do.

My system is

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ (2.8GHz) Socket AM2
Sony DRU-190A 20X DVD±RW DL & DVD-RAM
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive
Kingston 2gb Ddr2 800mhz/pc2-6400 Memory
Asus 9500GT OC 512MB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI HDCP PCI-E Graphics Card
ASUS M3A78 PRO 780G Socket AM2+ onboard graphics 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Hauppauge Win TV Nova-S Plus Digital Satellite Card TV And Radio Card PCI
SilverStone LASCALA LC17B Black Aluminium Desktop
Hi-Power Black 800W 14cm Blue LED Fan PSU
This runs to my 19 computer monitor with the dvi cable and also to my 50 plasma with the hdmi

Running with window xp service pack 3 and mp 1.0

I have tested some of my mates films he has ripped the same way as I do and we get no problems with his.

What am I doing wrong? the only difference between his set up and mine is the graphics card where he has an ati card.

Also is there a step by step guide on how to get the tv guide to work properly mine will only update some channels and never more than a programme in advance. I use freesat through my tv card. I am sure that my settings are not right but dont know how to set these up.

Thanks for your help

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    From your question, Im not clear on whether its the rips themselves that are causing the problem or something to do with yr MP setup. Have you tried to play yr rips on yr mate's machine? (do they play on his?)

On your machine, have you isolated whether its codecs OR something to do with yr MP setup? (do they play in WMP)?

Have you checked yr logs to see what MP is reporting when it tries to play the files?

Are you reading them from .iso (is this related to daemon tools) or straight from folder?

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    I have never used turbovob on any of the rips I've done, and have not experience palying any of the videos I've ripped. Have you tried using other ripping application like DVDDecryptor or DVDFab or RipIt4me (combination of DVDDecryptor and DVDShrink).

Like etheesdad says I think you first need to establish if it is the rips that are not working or a problem with your machine. Have you swapped, for testing purposes only, a ripped movie with you mate?

With regard to TV guide are you trying to use the WebEPG? I found this quite troublesome and have move instead to XMLTV GUI grabber. I use this in conjunction with 4therecord addon for MP. This have proven for me to be more reliable and easier to configure.

A suggestion for the future don't mix two questions on different topics in the same posting, start another thread.

2910grimster

Portal Member
    November 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the replys

I have not taken one of my rips to his machine yet but I will do that, at least this will see if its the rips or my setup.
    The ones we have tried of his on my machine work fine although his are all hd rips and even he gets the stuttering when he FF the film.

Mine are avi files but also as wmp files they do they same.

I will get back to you when I find out if my rips dont play on his setup

Thanks again

2910grimster

Portal Member
    November 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Right at long last I took one of my files to my mates house and the avi played fine on his. I can play my avi files fine in km player and through power dvd 8.
    I did try using power dvd as my external player but it trys to start it on my monitor rather than playing it on my plasma. I have set MP to open on the plasma by default. I did try using power dvd's codecs in the video set up but that did not work either.

Also they play fine as vob and mpeg through these 2 applications.
    It looks like its my set up trying to play AVI files through media portal thats the problem. I have set up FFshow and mp as per the guides that are availible. If I convert the files to mkv files they will play fine going forward but if I try the Re wind the file it crashes in MP. I suspect this is because they are not supposed to be this type.

I am now stuck I dont know what else to do, hopefully if MP is configured at some stage to play vob files then all will be fine.

Can you guys shed any light on to my situation or point me to guide that works fine for you in setting up mp for avi files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom