Firewire Supoport...A/V Stream and STB Control (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi all!
I LOVE MP...but I can not use it yet as I really want high definition digital cable support. As cableCard support is out of the question in the near term, a solution delivering the A/V streams over firewire appears to be the best option. There's an ongoing project over on thegreenbutton.com at http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=26&MessageID=104152 which started as a way to change channels on the STB using firewire and has grown...Tim can now record HD within MCE over firewire. Very coool stuff! Is there any way to port this over to MP and find a way to deliver live TV as well? I'm aware that SageTV can already do this, but to be frank, I hate the SageTV interface, and I can't justify dropping the cash for it.
can MP support this?

mowog

Portal Member
April 11, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I'd be interested in some form of firewire support integrated in MP, but for control of my Sony DV camera rather than a STB. I'd love to be able to plug the camera into the firewire port on the side of my HTPC and pull down video in a 'My Camera' plugin :)

basetwo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2005
    I'm really hoping that the developers of MP are reading this - It really would be great to see this feature incorporated into the app. I'd be interested in becoming a beta tester of this feature.
    I did download and install the firewire interface drivers Ghostbuster was speaking of from the Greenbutton site. I was then able to change channels via cli. Also having the drivers installed, I see the STB (Motorola 6xxx) as a capture device within MP. It seems that there wouldn't be much coding to do have MP recording from fw, changing channels, and even watch the live stream?? Any ideas on what would need to be done to get this rolled into the app?
    Thanks for a great application!
    -basetwo

whitead

July 12, 2005
    Oklahoma, USA
    I have seen several other posts requesting this feature, but there has been no response from any of the developers.

Has this feature request been logged? Anyone looked into implementation?

I feel that MP users in the U.S. would benefit the most from this because many STBs for our digital cable networks have the firewire (IEEE-1394) connection available and active.

When the STB is connected (mine is a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD), it is seen in Media Portal setup as a capture device. Like others have mentioned, it doesn't seem like it would take much to get it working.

It would be awesome to be able to capture digital content just like we can with the analog channels. This is the only reason I still have a VCR!

Thanks to the developers for all the hard work. I have MP running 24/7 on the HTPC in our family room, and even the wife loves it now. Adding firewire capture would be the icing on the cake!

-whitead

SwiTek

Portal Member
    August 25, 2005
    In your head ...
    Firewire, USB comming up ...

Hi, I've got a little thread over HERE where I regularly post some updates about my progress.

I'm writing a plugging to capture DV through firewire, and control your device from MP.

Don't get all excited yet, it's merely a beginning :wink:

bdbodger

April 3, 2007
    I have viewing from firewire enabled with the firestp.zip drivers the only problem is the res is only 720x um I forget the height . Anyway I can also record I belive . The only problem seems to be the codec I think that limits the size . I guess that is what it is . I can only view and record in SD not HD . CapDVHS can record in HD so I hope you guys get it figured out soon .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom