First steps in skinning - Should I continue? (1 Viewer)

Continue with this layout?

• Definitely yes!

Votes: 36 94.7%
  • Yes, but with minor changes (please state in thread)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Well, errr, this needs serious re-designing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Please don't!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eightyf

Portal Member
May 14, 2007
Munich
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello,
after some troubles in understanding the whole skinning stuff, I think I will try to make my own skin.
Besides all the technical problems, which I definitely will have, I first wanted to know your opinion on my layout - it's still in previz stage, so, the images below are no actual screenshots.
previz01.jpg

previz02.jpg

previz03.jpg

Since this is an awful lot of work, please let me know, if I should continue with this design or better restart from scratch with something totally different.
Another thing that strikes me... on my internet computer the colors look veeery dark and desaturated - is that so?
I can take honesty, but please be gentle nevertheless ;-)
André

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Looks great! There is no reason to stop. The more skins the better.

Maybe you could make the selection bar a little less rounded (or simple without bevel). To my opinion it would look more professional.

eightyf

Portal Member
May 14, 2007
Munich
Home Country
Germany Germany
... really love the font!
The font is called streetcorner and is (I think/hope) a freebie. The great thing about it is, that it comes with many different styles: normal, bold, italic, narrow, narrower, extended, hyperextend, uppercase, uppercase bold... all in all about 11 diferent type styles.
Maybe you could make the selection bar a little less rounded (or simple without bevel). To my opinion it would look more professional.
You mean the selecteditemhighlightbar? Yup, I think you're right, I am not too happy with the pseudo-gel-aqua-look either.

Thanks for the input and feedback
André

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Looking good!

I particularly like the bottom-placed buttons ( -> [View: List] etc.); both placing and gfx are great looking - not to mention the preview/cover-area.

No pre-pics for basic home screen?

tipstir

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Looks like someone has expensive skin style... very good.. To help those new to MP I am writing a script to convert images needed for MP to make the process easier. Well for me..

ewiles

Portal Member
    November 6, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is looking awesome! We could always use more good widescreen skins.

December 28, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    It is looking great :) I enjoy the thum view very much
    Like what has already been said. The “list” select and the bottom menu needs to have that rounded square look you have going in the thums / top toolbar and thum frame
    The fully rounded buttons look a little out of place.

Either way, keep it going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom