[Approved] Fix for search returning programs not available in guide (1 Viewer)

dsnaith

Portal Member
April 16, 2006
I have many channels not visible in the guide due to them being encrypted, and have found that the search function returns programs from channels I cannot receive. Additionally when looking at a showing, the upcoming shows also returns programs from channel I cannot receive. I fixed this by modifying the select in TvBusinessLayer.cs to include a join to the Channel table and additional where clause.

Attachments

• SearchOnlyVisibleInGuide (using SVN22555).patch
    30.7 KB

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I think the clean way to handle this situation is:

1. Leave untunable channels in "All channels" group and hide this group ( option in Configuration->Television->TV client)

2. Delete those from the DB

Simone

dsnaith

Portal Member
    April 16, 2006
    There are two reasons why I think that deleting the channels is a bad idea.

1. When a rescan is done, Mediaportal adds the deleted channels back in and enables them in the guide. This means I need to delete the channels again.

2. I don't want the kids channels normally but when my brother visits with his kids, I can temporarily add these channels back in.

romadd64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Couldn't be added a user choice in Tv Plugin to filter or not ?

romadd

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    After discussing we are rejecting this patch.

TV-Server can't know if a user is able to decrypt/watch a channel.
    So the user simply has to remove channels he can not watch, or just not grab epg data for it.

Simone

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At least I consider it more logical to include only "visible" / channels in the search results even if there was no setting for this...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

dsnaith

Portal Member
    April 16, 2006
    At least I consider it more logical to include only "visible" / channels in the search results even if there was no setting for this...

Yes, I also share your opinion. I set thread status back to evaluation. We should come to a decision.

@dsnaith:
    Please check your indentation settings to be 2 chars for tab and post a new patch... (see MediaPortalDevelopment/CodingStandards - MediaPortal Manual Documentation)

Just to make it clear, this patch to the search function returns programs from channels that are marked as 'visibleInGuide'.

Attached is an updated patch with the indentation corrected.

Attachments

• SearchOnlyVisibleInGuide-2 (using SVN22555).patch
      30.8 KB

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

There is a setting in TV-server config to only download EPG data for selected channels. I use this for DVB, but I'm not sure if it can be used by analog, satellite users. If it can, then isn't this the way to ensure that you don't have EPG data for channels which you do not have?

If not, then I would like to see this patch included - as long as it is clear to the average user how to determine whether a channel will be included in searches.

Best wishes,

Mark

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

There is a setting in TV-server config to only download EPG data for selected channels. I use this for DVB, but I'm not sure if it can be used by analog, satellite users. If it can, then isn't this the way to ensure that you don't have EPG data for channels which you do not have?

If not, then I would like to see this patch included - as long as it is clear to the average user how to determine whether a channel will be included in searches.

Best wishes,

Mark

In the UK some satellite provides broadcast EPG data from one channel for all channels. To be fair, this on it's own isn't supported directly by MediaPortal but patches like DJBlu's do add this functionality.

I think a seperate option would be more appropriate (personally).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom