Fixed unfixable problem! Finally! Phew! (1 Viewer)

geoffw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 28, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV-Server Version: 1.1.0.0
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0.0
    MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP 1.2.1.1679

Man, i think i just nailed a problem that's been bugging me forever.

When i begin watching an unwatched recorded TV prog the first 10 secs is ok, the next 20 secs the pics slows down, and over the next 10 secs the pic catches up to the voice by way of fast playback. PB then solid as for rest of recording.

Once i'ld watched the bad clip i could replay the clip 100 times, and it would be fine...couldn't replicate. It was like the renderer or the codec has to 'experience' the clip once to 'get used to it' before they were friends and played nicely together.

Tried everything to fix...(checked codecs, HDD spin up times, defrag, latest bios, drivers, mp, SAF, tried ramdisk. Even split tuners across 2 drives to reduce IO contention as it appeared to be related to IO - it wasn't of course). You name it i tried it, but could never fix it) Just accepted as one of those things you need to accept to use MP!

Then i looked at CPU while playing back unwatched TV clip, and behold MTN.exe was chewing up all my cpu! Bad MTN! Once MTN finished (10-20 after starting to watch clip), then CPU would go back to <15% and clip voice and vid would be in synch again. The explained all the symptoms.....the single occurrence in particular.

Now that i think i've identified the cause, i've renamed MTN to MTN_disabled.exe - i'm sure this will work.

Is there a more elegant way? Has anyone else had probs with MTN....is MTN really worth the hassle?

I hope that this post helps others with the same symptoms!

Cheers

Geoff

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    you haven't listed your system specs but mtn can struggle on low powered machines. In MP config you can change thumbnail settings. if you untick autocreate thumbs this should disable mtn

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV-Server Version: 1.1.0.0
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0.0
    MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP 1.2.1.1679

Man, i think i just nailed a problem that's been bugging me forever.

When i begin watching an unwatched recorded TV prog the first 10 secs is ok, the next 20 secs the pics slows down, and over the next 10 secs the pic catches up to the voice by way of fast playback. PB then solid as for rest of recording.

Once i'ld watched the bad clip i could replay the clip 100 times, and it would be fine...couldn't replicate. It was like the renderer or the codec has to 'experience' the clip once to 'get used to it' before they were friends and played nicely together.

Tried everything to fix...(checked codecs, HDD spin up times, defrag, latest bios, drivers, mp, SAF, tried ramdisk. Even split tuners across 2 drives to reduce IO contention as it appeared to be related to IO - it wasn't of course). You name it i tried it, but could never fix it) Just accepted as one of those things you need to accept to use MP!

Then i looked at CPU while playing back unwatched TV clip, and behold MTN.exe was chewing up all my cpu! Bad MTN! Once MTN finished (10-20 after starting to watch clip), then CPU would go back to <15% and clip voice and vid would be in synch again. The explained all the symptoms.....the single occurrence in particular.

Now that i think i've identified the cause, i've renamed MTN to MTN_disabled.exe - i'm sure this will work.

Is there a more elegant way? Has anyone else had probs with MTN....is MTN really worth the hassle?

I hope that this post helps others with the same symptoms!

Cheers

Geoff

I'd also speculate you're viewing FreeView terrestrial which I find MTN seems to struggles with and often crash trying to create thumbnails for. I don't think it likes something in the h.264 encoding we get in NZ.

geoffw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 28, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thanks, yes watching freeview...lots. Will disable auto-create thumbs...

Cheers.

Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom