Flash coverflow! (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hey all,

I found this cool looking flash coverflow. I was so impressed that I just had to toy with it, so I did, see this short video

What I did for now is, I took an AMC XML export, parsed it with PHP and spit out a xml format the flash file expects (kinda like a webservice).

I just wanted to throw this out somewhere to show the world my beatifull creation and ofcourse make ya'll jealous :)
FYI the current build of what I got going is tight into my whole server console so no generic solution for now that will work for all. Maybe I'll work towards a generic solution but the prerequisites will be; apache, php (probably 5 and up) and some sort of DB (maybe sqlite but preferably mysql) for performance sake (and so I can do more complicated logic like spitting out all covers with genre "action" for example, kinda hard with an xml flat file).

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
I read Cash Overflow at first and thought you might be willing to throw some my way but then I saw the video and thought "nice but not as cool as cash"...:D:D:p:oops:

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well no cash overflows here no, lol :)
I've been @ it again cause flash gives me headaches. This is just a stupid bug, flash is always on top. You can't have div overlays on flash if you have not set the wmode to transparent. If you set the wmode to transparent the mouse scroll wheel won't work, so I sighed... :)

So on to a faster, better performing JQuery plugin called image flow, see my sample

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Really? I actually prefer the first when it comes to the looks.
The jquery plugin kinda has a flicker, this is partly because I use these crazy large images :)

I'm installing premiere atm to make some cool looking demonstration of my current build of the server console I got going. Will be up shortly (hopefully)

----EDIT----

Teaser

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    It's the false perspective of the first coverflow which I don't like, the second one makes the selection obvious without looking 'wrong' imho

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    No a plugin will not be in the scope in the foreseeable feature (when it comes to a release a webserver and php install will be a prerequisite). Actually I was just about to post some thread on the mp forum to ask for developers (again :)).
    I would like to someday distribute this opensource but the way I have setup things now is just too tight into my own system (you can think of file paths etc which are non configurable yet and specific to my system). This is cause it's a lot faster getting things done the hardcoded way.
    I have tried getting an opensource project together but I just ran in too many snags. It took me so much effort to introduce those programmers back then with this project I kinda gave up (no offense but these guys were too inexperienced as well). I need people who have proper knowledge about ALL the underlying techniques being used.
    It's hard to find people who are enthousiastic about this and also are experienced enough to contribute anything.

I'm also looking for designs of certain parts of the server console cause I'm kinda bad at that (or at least takes me so much time to get something decent).

I'm also pretty bad at getting to some stage that it's releasable. I keep adding half baked/done features :) The next one on top of my prio list is making it more lightweight / mobile accessible

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom