Flickering Tv-guide and other overlays with EVR enabled (1 Viewer)

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
TV-Server Version: TVE 3 latest SVN (usually)
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 latest SVN (usually)
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo (modded myself to be black)
Windows Version: Vista SP1 RC
CPU Type: Athlon X2 4200+
HDD: 2x300 GB
Memory: 2 Gb
Motherboard: HP Pavilion D4494.se
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: Sapphire HD2600XT Ultimate (Passive)
Video Card Driver: 8.1 (Guru3d beta)
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi
Sound Card AC3: SPDIF
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: FireDTV DVB-T
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: Latest
2. TV Card: Asustek Europa II (SAA7134) DVB-T
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver: Latest
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 7
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Dscaler Audio Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: MCE
TV: LCD ACER AT3705 (37")
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

When having EVR enabled in Vista all screens in MP containing a small window of the currently running video/TV such as the TV-Guide window, makes the GUI flicker. With VMR9 it is no problem. When this happens there is nothing in the logs.

It's not a "showstopper" since there is no other problem, but it is really annoying... Anyone else experience this?
Perhaps could be GFX driver related - but I have tested numerous driver versions (7.10,7.11,7.12 and 8.1) to no avail. Also tested most of the SVNs since 16587...

I have also discovered that EVR also makes my music "playing" screen to freeze MP with directX errors eventually, as I have posted here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/my_music_makes_mp_freeze_after_while-t33149.html

That problem is perhaps related?
Just realised I posted in the wrong forum... Could someone move this to the Support for Mediaportal 1 (not TV-server)

MoPhat

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2007
    Berg
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi pnyberg, i have the same issue with EVR and my MP/Vista installation since a few SVNs... i thins so about 1-2 months.

I have yet not found any solution, and no entrys in the log :(

greetz
    MoPhat

MoPhat

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2007
    Berg
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Anyone a solution for that behaviour?
    (without disabling EVR)

MoPhat

MoPhat

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2007
    Berg
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have notized if the tv preview screen is not to small then it does not flickering.

> I will test this and do modifying the skin.

The second thing that i have recognized is, that if the tv show is a HDTV (1080i) show - the flickering is more heavy!
    I thinks that have something to do with the redrawn of the skin in MP.

can anyone test this?

MoPhat

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The flickering GUI problem has been around for a long time, why some people get it and other do not, have never been able to find out, always thought it was a nvidia card problem, but obviously not.

Used to be able to get rid of it by running nvidia's antialiasing setting at 8xS using vmr9 on xp, this seems now to have no effect.
    Currently ATM have Vista running fine with evr or vmr9, xp gets bad flickering with vmr9, fine with evr.

This was first introduced when MP switched over to .net and vmr9, earlier wayback version used overlay and had no such problem.

Think this really is a .net\dx communication problem, how to resolve, may involve a MP core rewrite which is not going to happen.

Hopefully this will be kicked into touch with MP2, anyone has any other ideas on this.

Also tried every nvidia driver version going which has made no difference, but one thing did fix it was a cheap 7300 worked with no problem, when i put my 7900 in immediately got the flickering under vmr9 with xp.

This is one reason we could do with a DirectX Dev.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    thanks, PD for your info.
    Perhaps this is something HW/driver related, because I've never seen this with my old NVIDIA 7900GTX only using VMR9 back then (XP Sp2).

It would be interesting to hear if there are other people running EVR and using an HD2600 GFX and DON'T experience this... then I could start digging deeper in my setup.

mmmm..but still, perhaps related to this problem some other people experience when coding with EVR. They seem to blame MS for it. Also one of the DEVs had found a workaround for it.

EVR Clipping Window bug - MSDN Forums

Perhaps eabin could look and see if that problem could be related? (And if not just say so?)

But as I said, please report here those of you who don't have this issue that have similar GFX as I do.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom