FloppyDTV-T, recordings are in .mpg and no video (but I get audio) (1 Viewer)

dipje

Portal Member
May 13, 2005
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal-svn--10-24-2006--19-59-Rev11306
TV Engine: tvengine3-10-24-2006--15-18h--Rev11304
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP 3000+
HDD: ST3120022A (120gb ATA)
Memory: 1.5gb DDR PC3200
Motherboard: Asus A7V600-X
Motherboard Chipset: Via KT600
Motherboard Bios: ???
Video Card: Connect3D Radeon 9600XT
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 6.4
Sound Card: SoundMax integrated audio, 5.1 analog mode
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.1.3663 / 15-7-2003
1. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR350
1. TV Card Type: Analog h/w
1. TV Card Driver: 1.18.21.22266 / 22-9-2004

2. TV Card: FloppyDTV-T
2. TV Card Type: Firewire DVB-T w/ Conax CAM
2. TV Card Driver: Light BDA 4.2 (4.2.0.0 / 2-2-2006)
MPEG2 Video Codec: NVidia PureVideo Video decoder
MPEG2 Audio Codec: NVidia PureVideo Audio decoder
(yes, Nvidia decoders)
Satelite/CableTV Provider: KPN-TV (Digitenne) DVB-T
TV - HTPC Connection: S-video

At first, the new tv engine autotuned the channels fine. But whenever I tried to watch a channel (by Manual Control or Mediaportal client) I would get an error "No video/audio data" (or something similar). Thinking that it might have something to do with my old (factory default) firmware on the FloppyDTV and no option to be seen to keep pid-filtering off, I upgraded to the latest 1.2.1 firmware (FloppyDTV-T-CI-Rel-1-2-1-B33720.zip), and behold Manual Control showed some activity and in Mediaportal watching channels (and timeshifting) worked.

But whenever I record, it sems the video data is lost. The .MPG file written is small (so really only audio data is saved) and programs like MediaPlayerClassic and VLC don't see a video track. The audio is fine though.

But when I open the .TS timeshift buffers (live1.ts.tsbuffer1.ts and so on) in VLC while the record is running, I get video and audio just fine! And like I said, Mediaportal displays the channel just fine while recording. So somewhere in the writing of the recording it looses the video track.

Running a bit of .TS through ProjectX told me the PID's of the videotrack (0x40 - 64) and audio track (0x41 - 65). Pretty default I guess:

ok> PID 0x40 has PES-ID 0xE0 (MPEG Video) (17296 #93)
ok> PID 0x41 has PES-ID 0xC0 (MPEG Audio) (28952 #155)

I even tried opening the TuningDetail table in the SQL Manager utility, and in the last columns 'videoPid' and 'audioPid' I entered '64' and '65' to try to give a hint which tracks it must save. But this didn't work.
This problem of not recording video happens for every DVB-T channel, but not my analog channels.

BTW, wouldn't it be better for digital channels to be saved as .ts instead of .mpg? I thought .TS files were better because of the occasional bit of packet loss that seems to be inevitable with DVB-T, or am I just saying nonsense here?.

P.S.: If I need to attach any logs, let me know.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    a tv.log & tswriter.log would be helpfull.

Note I have the FireDtv-T and use it to watch DigiTenne
    which works just fine for me

Frodo

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    hmmm mine is the reverse , my HD channels dont' seem to get any sound only video, didn't have much time to play with it last night , anyone else with issues on HD stations?

dipje

Portal Member
    May 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    frodo: This is going to sound silly, but I can't find the logs. I cleared my Log directory in mediaportal, restarted the tvservice and mediaportal watched and recorded a bit from a digitenne channel, and the only log file that gets recreated is vmr9.log in the mediaportal/log directory.

edit: I had the debug level set to warning, it's now set to 'debug', but it still doesn't generate the files you asked for.

There seems to be a lot of other weird things going on with DVB-T.
    My htpc seems to slow to play the dvb-t channel (doing it's best to reach around 1fps). If I play the .TS timeshift buffer in VLC on the same machine when Mediaportal is closed, it plays fine. If I install Mediaportal on another machine and connect it to the tv-server, the DVB-T channel also plays fine in Mediacenter. But Mediacenter in singleseated configuration (which I normally run) doesn't play the DVB-T channel fine. But the analog channels from my PVR350 are playing nicely, and they are higher resolution and bitrate?!

What I try to do now is go into mediaportal, My TV. Turn TV on. Press 'record now', and 10 seconds after press 'Stop record', Turn tv off and exit mediaportal. But if I try to 'stop record' mediaportal freezes up (but still using around 3% cpu, so it seems it waiting for something).

Also, if I then go into the SetupTV, go to manual control and try to stop record and timeshifting for the channel there, it doesn't seem to be able to stop the timeshifting! I can click the button as much as I want, and it just doesn't stop.

Attached are 'mediaportal.log' and 'vmr9.log' from my Mediaportal/Log directory. It's all that's in there.

Edit: Alright, so I was just being silly. Just read the wiki one more time and found in the 'testing with VLC' part that the log files of the TV server are in the AllUsers profile. I'm cleaning them out and then they are coming here :).

dipje

Portal Member
    May 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Mediaportal version: MediaPortal-svn--10-25-2006--00-59-Rev11316
    TV Server version: tvengine3-10-25-2006--14-22h--Rev11328

I deleted the database and installed the latest snapshots and uninstalled / installed the latest tvserver snapshot. So this is on a pretty clean install.

Attached are TsWriter.log, tv.log and 'streaming server.log'.

Started timeshifting and recording on a channel, connected trough rtsp:// and wachted a bit (was fine) and then stopped recording and timeshifting.

The recorded file 'TMF.mpg' is 3138kb and plays for 2min30, and contains only audio so it seems.

dipje

Portal Member
    May 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm probably braking a forum rule by this, but is there any news on this issue?
    I kept up with all the latest svn's from both mediaportal and the tvserver, and my hauppauge 350 setup is now pretty stable and usable (channels ordered, epg grabbed correctly, all channels tuned in fine, etc..).

But to this point my FloppyDTV-T still timeshifts fine, but recording generates .mpg's with just an audio track.
    Did the log files show something usefull? (It seemed pretty normal to me, it shows the right pid's and all). Is there anything else I can do that might help resolve this? And is it correct that I'm the only one with this problem, because that probably means the problem is _somewhere_ else, but I really can't seem to find where.

dipje

Portal Member
    May 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    not to be impatient, but any results? I suppose you have no problem recording Frodo, otherwise it would be a known issue :).

I still have the feeling it _is_ related to my system somehow (that's why I placed it into the support forum).

Is there a chance I have an old muxer filter that is left over from some other tests / software? I play around alot with filters and ts writers and stuff so it could be I have something left in my SYSTEM32 directory that is still registered and is used instead of newer filters in the TVServer directory.

Or maybe my tuning information is wrong? From the log files you can see the tuning settings that my TVServer tries to tune and compare them with yours... Digitenne is Digitenne everywhere in the Netherlands right? So your frequencies and settings should be the same as mine...

I'm starting to miss my 2nd tuner and the smaller recordings, but I really like the fact that the recordings go to .mpg instead of .dvr-ms, so I don't want to go back to the previous tvengine :).

Any other parts of information that I can give to get this resolved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom