[Finished] Folder.jpg thumbnail handling (1 Viewer)

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    While I cannot explain why the Ram to Ram test went opsit of what was really expected, I think it does help to point out there is a flaw in the methods either the scan uses, process's for the scan, or within the fundaments of each DB.
    I also was Very suprized the switch.... I think it might be time for me to learn more about monitoring DB and what is actually happening...

Also, 99.9% of all my music folders have at least a folder.jpg and this folder does have one.. (pic included)
    I have made reference to the lack of folder icon's not being seem within MP2 Audio but I also thought it might be something I was not configuring or maybe the directory structure I am using..
    f:\music\'Genres'\Artist\Album\

Has all development to use MySQL stopped for MP2?

Attachments

• Folder.jpg
      Folder.jpg
      34.2 KB

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Has all development to use MySQL stopped for MP2?
    Don't think so - it's just too much for a few developers to keep up with everything :) When the next version of SQLiteDatabase is out, I will also spend my time on something else - not sure what exactly, yet. This may look like the development has stopped, but this is only temporary. And I think everyone else does the same...

Also, 99.9% of all my music folders have at least a folder.jpg and this folder does have one.. (pic included)
    I have made reference to the lack of folder icon's not being seem within MP2 Audio but I also thought it might be something I was not configuring or maybe the directory structure I am using..
    f:\music\'Genres'\Artist\Album\
    Just had a look into the code (AudioMetadataExtractor). What it does is basically it tries to get embedded coverart first and if there is no embedded coverart, it uses out ThumbnailGenerator Service - which in turn uses the windows thumb cache.
    But what we do is we look in the windows thumb cache for a thumb for the respective audio file (not directory). I'm not sure whether this makes sense. To my understanding, a windows thumb for a music file is only present, if there is an embedded coverart in the audio file and windows shell can extract it (which to my knowledge is the case for Id3v2.3, but e.g. not for Id3v2.4 tags). But in this case we would already have extracted the coverart from the tags directly - or to put it the other way around: If there is no coverart embedded, the windows thumb cache shouldn't have a thumb for this file, either. But maybe I overlooked something here - I never tested this because all my music has embedded coverart...
    @morpheus_xx : Wouldn't it make more sense to look up a potential cached thumb for the directory in which the audio file is? That way we should get the thumb from the folder.jpg (or even better load the folder.jpg directly without going through windows thumb cache). My first thought about this was that we cannot just assume that all the audio files in one directory belong to one album, but then again, if there is no embedded coverart and the user has decided to put one single folder.jpg in one directory with a bunch of audio files, I think we can safely assume that the user wants to have the folder.jpg as coverart for all the audio files in that directory that do not have a different embedded coverart. Does that make sense?

Michael

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I moved the thumbnail related post into a new thread.

Until now I thought that the windows shell thumbnail also considers folder.jpg to create thumbnails also for mp3. I now made a test with few mp3 and one folder.jpg, with no result :( I'm not sure if it is because of my fresh Win8.1 installation, maybe it worked in my Win7 version.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Or... Like my Live Music server, I turned that function off... I did not want Windows caching a thumnail when the current media web server looks for Folder and other jpg's. I also do not have it enbeded into each song do to size. My current music folder/s eat 470G of space... oops.....
    This explaines a lot. Thank You. :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    maybe it worked in my Win7 version
    For me this never had worked (on Win 7). I would like to have working folder.jpg in all parts of MP2, not only in music part. I've some really nice ones in pictures and in Videos also. They are shown in MP1, XBMC,... but not in MP2.
    MP2.jpg

MP1.jpg

Windows.jpg

Even Windows Explorer looks a lot nicer than MP2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom