[For Italy] A question about DVB-T EPG (1 Viewer)

Cybertex

Portal Pro
August 9, 2007
Milano
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi to all,
Just a question to the italian users:

I'm using TVServer, with an Hauppage HVR-1300 card (detailed system info in my profile). I'm using only the DVB-T part, the analog is disabled. I live near Milan. My doubt is:

My EPG grabs only current program and next program (I'm forced to use WebEPG to get a decent program guide). Is the same for you too? It is a problem of:
- DVB broadcaster,
- Hauppage card / Driver,
- TV Server code,
??

Could you share your experience/system info about the thing?

Grazie,

samo_yea

Portal Pro
November 12, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
Ciao! It's a problem of the broadcaster dvb.
I live in Trieste and this is what I get:
Rai 1, Rai 2, Rai 3, Rai 4 (Mux A) trasmit the EPG for 1 day
other Rai tv (like Rai Edu 1) trasmit only the now&next
La7 trasmit EPG for 7 days
Mediaset trasmit only the now&next

On the interactive setTopBox ("decoder interrativo") you can see more EPG data, because that data is not normal epg trasmitted data, but is trasmitted in another way, using the "interractivity".

Hope that this will help you!

tsamb.

Portal Member
December 21, 2005
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Perhaps you have a similar problem in Italy to the problem we have in New Zealand...?

On our DVB-T broadcast here, only current and next programme EPG data is broadcast over EIT (on all muxes). We do have a full 7 day EPG on the streams, but it is broadcast using MHEG-5.

Since MP currently has no support for MHEG-5, I have resorted to grabbing 8 day EPG data from the web and using XMLTV to import it.

If you are to use an officially sanctioned set-top box to get DVB-T in Italy, would you get the full week EPG? If so, perhaps Italy is also broadcasting its EPG over MHEG-5 rather than EIT.

samo_yea

Portal Pro
November 12, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
If you are to use an officially sanctioned set-top box to get DVB-T in Italy, would you get the full week EPG? If so, perhaps Italy is also broadcasting its EPG over MHEG-5 rather than EIT.

You are right. Italy broadcast the full week EPG over MHEG, but some "provider" broadcast the full EPG also over EIT. If exist a standard to trasmit the EPG, why don't use that? I hope that will change and all the Italian "provider" will broadcast the EPG over EIT!!!

tsamb.

Portal Member
December 21, 2005
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
If exist a standard to trasmit the EPG, why don't use that?

From what I have read, New Zealand broadcasts the full EPG only on MHEG-5 for a couple reasons. Firstly and primarily because they wanted a 'consistent' looking EPG across all platforms (basically, if you are to pull the MHEG data down, the guide will look the same on whatever set-top box or integrated DVB-T TV tuner you are using). Secondly, MHEG-5 allows the expansion into interactive television applications and since they decided to implement that for future use, they decided not to use up the bandwidth broadcasting over MHEG-5 and EIT.

I would love to see an MHEG-5 plugin for MP (even just the EPG data and not interactive features) and if not that, then even an app that will pull EPG data out of a a stream containing MHEG-5 data and translate that to XML.

Cybertex

Portal Pro
August 9, 2007
Milano
Home Country
Italy Italy
Ok,
thanks to tsamb and samo_yea for the explanations. Now the situation it's clear..

So, we need to use xmltv / webepg (as usual...), hoping for a MHEG-5 plugin.

Thanks,
Ciao.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom