Foreign Titles - Help requested (1 Viewer)

JoyriderZZ

Portal Member
February 17, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all, i'm trying to do the above as well without success.

Using the example Black Book/Zwartboek I can't force the Dutch title somehow.

The first option of IMDB+ already makes no difference. Movingpictures always shows 'Black Book', never 'Zwartboek'. When I send the movie back to the importer in the MovingPictures settings I can see it switches from Zwartboek to Black Book during the scraping process.
The second option of IMDB+ does work, so there I can make the title show as Zwartboek (Black Book) or Black Book (Zwartboek), however this is only in the movie details. The movietitle in 'all movies' always shows as BLACK BOOK, I want it to show ZWARTBOEK there.

I also tested it with the movie The Life of Others/Das Leben Des Anderen which is a german movie.
Here I can only let Movingpictures show Das Leben Des Anderen, irregardless of options. Never The Life of Others.
The second option of IMDB+ does work, so there I can make the title show as Das Leben des anderen (The Life of Others) or the other way round, however this is only in the movie details. The movietitle in 'all movies' always shows as DAS LEBEN DES ANDEREN. So for this movie the situation looks just the opposite of the Zwartboek situation...?

For both examples above, i don't see anything change when adding .nl and/or .de to both additional country and language options (also tried separately).

Am I doing something wrong, or is the script not working as intended?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Two seperate things. MovPic first processes the search node, and gets the wrong title. This is when you see the green circle inside MovPic config importer. Then the details node gets all the info and corrects the title, and puts white checkmark inside the circle.

The first option relies on IMDb to show "title (original title)", which in their new wisdom of showing Dutch users Dutch titles does not work well. So you need to not enable that option. IMDb+ after many fixes should be able to detect English and Dutch title for you and then indeed show "Zwartboek (Black Book)" or reversed.

Adding the language is a sneaky work-around to trick IMDb+ into thinking Dutch movies are actually English and accept the IMDb title language as such.

Keep in mind that you need to restart MovPic config for it to use the right titles, as IMDb+ does some advanced tricks to make everything work. Perhaps your feedback that it doesn't work is based on that, because if you see "Zwartboek (Black Book)" it is working.

Otherwise need you to switch your system into advanced debug mode, so I can see what IMDb now shows Dutch users and how to compensate for it.

JoyriderZZ

Portal Member
    February 17, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok thanks for the quick reply :)

I will start with restarting the MovPic config after a change, because I haven't done that yet...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @JoyriderZZ, just let me know if it works. For an American user on a USA IP there are a ton of combinations possible already, let alone if we toss into the mix that IMDb shows different stuff depending on where you are located. It makes it a nightmare to account for everything sometimes, but it should all work, and if not I will fix it :)

JoyriderZZ

Portal Member
    February 17, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Unfortunately no success yet:
    - Set IMDB+ options in MePo
    - Close MePo
    - Open MovPic settings
    - Close MovPic & MePo settings
    - Open Mov Pic settings
    - Send Black Book back to importer
    - Black Book is stored as Black Book again, not as Zwartboek

Can you see what is going on, or are more files needed?

Attachments

• Options IMDb+ Scraper.xml
      1.7 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Can you see what is going on, or are more files needed?

You need to turn original title OFF, that has a whole different meaning then you think it does in the way IMDb+ interacts with IMDb for a non-USA user. The adding you did on country/language will then take the Dutch title as-is.

JoyriderZZ

Portal Member
    February 17, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi RoChess,

Unfortunately that didn't help. I tried the following options:
    Original Title Off, Country & Language Filter nl added
    Original Title Off, Country & Language Filter nl removed
    Original Title On, Country & Language Filter nl added
    Original Title On, Country & Language Filter nl removed

Zwartboek is always displayed as Black Book.
    Another example is the movie Assassins (1995) which is always displayed as Day of Reckoning regardless of the above options.

Edit:
    I didn't realise this might have an impact as well:
    I obtain additional information in Dutch and the sub-option Force English Title is OFF.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Zwartboek is always displayed as Black Book.
    Another example is the movie Assassins (1995) which is always displayed as Day of Reckoning regardless of the above options.

Edit:
    I didn't realise this might have an impact as well:
    I obtain additional information in Dutch and the sub-option Force English Title is OFF.

The only way I will be able to help you is if we configure your system into diagnostic mode, so that IMDb+ stores the HTML sources code within movingpictures.log and that MovPic shows me scraper-debug enabled log entries. Then I can see in great detail exactly what is going on with your exact system and will be able to fix the bug.

For all I know Amazon/IMDb changed the HTML source code methods again that cause the highly complex regular expressions to fail, which then breaks everything down. The fix is sometimes extremly easy, but I will not know about it, until I can see it in detail. As you can see by the IMDb+ revision history there are countless of those exact type of fixes added to keep up with Amazon/IMDb.

To help, enable the HTML source debug option for IMDb+ and turn on the green little debug icon inside MovPic and re-import just *ONE* movie after all your normal updating/backpruning is done. I can explain all the steps in detail if you want to try, or you can look at some of the older threads/posts in which I have gone through the entire process with others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom