Frequent Random System Crashes (1 Viewer)

WombatMan

Portal Member
September 25, 2008
I'm having problems with MediaPortal frequently and seemingly randomly crashing my entire system. I don't use MediaPortal for TV, I just use it for ripped movies and music. Up until yesterday I was running version 1.0.1.0, but I upgraded yesterday to 1.0.2.0 hoping it would fix the issue but it hasn't.

When it crashes, it doesn't just crash the program but the entire PC. It's a complete lockup. The picture freezes and the audio just loops the same half-second or so. When this happens the mouse & keyboard won't work, nothing, I have to hold down the power button on the PC to turn it off. It doesn't always happen, sometimes I will watch an entire movie, sometimes 2 or 3 without it happening, sometimes it will happen 3 or 4 times in a single movie. Then I will go back and let it play that same movie again and it plays the whole movie no problem.

Normally I would say it might be a heat issue, but when I have used this PC in the past for gaming for hours on end, which should heat up the PC a lot more than movies, it works fine. I believe the problem to be with MediaPortal, as I've never once had this PC crash when MediaPortal wasn't running. Yesterday, I opened Windows Media Player and played 4 or 5 movies back to back and it was fine. And one of the movies I played was one that crashed 3 times when I tried to watch it in MediaPortal earlier that day.

If there's any log files or anything I can post, let me know what files and where they are and I'll put them up. I appreciate any ideas you have.

Thanks

System Info:
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core (2.3 GHz)
2GB DDR2 memory
Windows XP Pro, SP 3

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    re logs: instructions below

Please also provide details of your codec setup and anything you have tried in regard to these to address the crashes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom