Full screen auto minimises to system tray when click off screen (1 Viewer)

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TV-Server Version: TV Server 1.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: SpinSafe_1080
    Windows Version: Windows Vista 32bit
    CPU Type: Core2Duo 6420
    HDD: 6x 500 gig Seagate SATA
    Memory: 4 gig DDR2 800
    Motherboard: Abit AB9 PRO
    Video Card: ATI 1650PRO
    Video Card Driver: Latest Catalyst
    Sound Card: on board Realtek HD audio
    Sound Card AC3: coax
    Sound Card Driver: ABit Realtek latest
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WnTV Nova-T-500
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: hauppauge_cd_3.4b - \Driver99\hcw99bda.sys
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Hauppauge
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: Hauppauge
    h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 pro
    Power Supply:
    Remote: MCE
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection: SCART RGB

My previous setup of Vista SP0 with MP 0.2.3 + SVN allowed a configuration of MP running full screen on Monitor 1 whilst I used monitor 2 for other apps.

I have re-built the box with Vista SP1 and am now using MP RC1.

What happens now is if I launch MP full screen on monitor 1 (also tried 2) and then use the other monitor to surf (or whatever) all is good until I play a video. At first the remote controls MP and my keyboard mouse input is directed to the window in which I am controlling, in this case IE. As soon as a video starts to play both monitors briefly flash like they are resizing or something (I am sure this did not use to happen) and then focus is grabbed by the video (i.e. the keyboard is now sending its input to MP and not IE). As soon as I click off the video window (i.e. I click an app on monitor 2) MP minimises to the system tray and stops playing.

I have also tested this on a freshly built Vista laptop connected to a second monitor and observed the same behaviour. It does not matter which window MP runs full screen on either, primary or secondary.

I think also I used to run MP on a laptop full screen and could alt-tab to other apps over it whilst it still played in the back ground, it now minimises to system tray as soon as you alt-tab.

solis66

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yes, its an odd thing.
    I also have the same phenomena when I have my laptop connected to a second screen and use MP in fullscreen mode.
    Not always, but most often MP minimizes to system tray when I use eg. the browser on the other screen and the video stops.

It's a bit annoying when I want to have a video on and at the same time be able to do something else.

I use MP RC1 with svn 19574.

Edit: I just saw a tip from Paranoid Delusion about disabling tray icons from codecs like ffdshow, but that didn't help me.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    So are we thinking this could be a codec issue?
    What OS are you running? (could it be a Vista SP1 direct show change???)

On the test laptop I just installed the latest version of ffdshow as my only codec with standard options, and it still did the minimise.

I am leaning towards it being a MP issue as even once you stop the video playing and return to the MP gui if yo click away into another app window MP minimises to system tray. Then after a restore it coontines like this until you close it and start again.

I have an XP system here I am going to test on in a bit.
    I also have the 0.2.3 code so will do some like for like testing there as well on Vista when I get home.

Just confirmed on XP using 0.2.3 release with a 3 screen PC, MP full screen on one screen you can carry on using your other screens and MP does not minimse.
    Also there is no screen flash when the video loads (as reported above the focus now shifts to MP when you play a video and all monitors quickly go balck then re-draw); this is not happening on XP and 0.2.3

Just tested with MP 1.0 RC1 on XP with 3 screens and that works fine; full screen video playing on one monitor whilst I can surf or whatever on another. Will test Vista with 0.2.3 again later.

.........................done some more testing..........................

It also does this with 0.2.3 on Vista SP1
    So it appears the issue is a Vista one, duno if it SP1 related as I have no SP0 machines left.

I have also tried un-ticking the ffdshow tray icon thing, made no difference.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Where is the post from Paranoid Delusion about tray icons and ffdshow, I will check that out next.

Not related to your problem, cannot check out your theory about it being a Vista issue, as only access to single video output to TV.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks, you can always test the <ctrl><alt> issue, has the same problem on Vista, whereas XP will overlay your new app and continue playing the video.

Just finished some fairly extensive testing.
    The codec makes no difference, have tried ffdshow, xvid, coreavc (all just installed on there own).

The problem is a Vista issue.

Any version of MP on Vista with 2 or more screens when the video starts to play and you navigate away to your second screen to use another app causes MP to minimise to the system tray (also with single screen if you <alt><tab> to another app you get the same issue). You then cannot restore it whilst the video is playing (but if you have a remote you can hit stop and the restore will work).

I am now doubting that I ever had this working on my twin screen set up on Vista as I used to run XP and only switched to Vista to solve an S3 suspend issue; but made so many changes around the same time I get confused! My second screen is also a touch screen and I use screenlock to ensure the cursor does not drift to the main projector with MP on.......but I digress!

Final thing worth re-stating is that on Vista when a video starts to play all monitors will go blank for a second then re-draw and then focus is shifted to MP; this also does not happen in XP. For example if I am typing in notepad and hit play on my MCE remote notepad should still have focus, but on Vista keystrokes are now passed to MP.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Thanks, you can always test the <ctrl><alt> issue, has the same problem on Vista, whereas XP will overlay your new app and continue playing the video.

Mine takes alt-tab (MCE keyboard?) to do above, but get fullscreen video running in background fine.

Final thing worth re-stating is that on Vista when a video starts to play all monitors will go blank for a second then re-draw and then focus is shifted to MP; this also does not happen in XP

Fixed by tourettes, but not part of forthcoming RC2 release, but should be in first svn, if all testing goes well (seems to be), that was the last i heard about it.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Sorry, I meant <alt><tab> yes :rolleyes:

Interesting, so are you running Vista SP1 as well?
    I have tested this on two systems running SP1, a desktop using nvidia cards and a laptop with ATI.
    Both, even if I set it to one screen, when I do <alt><tab> and a video is playing then MP minimises to system tray.

What options do you have selected in general?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    TV-Server Version: MP1RC1 + latest svn
    MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal 1RC1 + latest svn
    MediaPortal Skin: xface
    Windows Version: Vista Ultimate\XP SP2 DualBoot
    CPU Type: Athlon X2 4200+
    HDD: Seagate 320 + 250 + 120
    Memory: 2 Gig DDR2 667 Ballistix
    Motherboard: DFI Infinity NF Ultra-M2
    Video Card: BFG GeForce 7900 GS
    Video Card Driver: 175.16
    Sound Card: Creative Audigy4
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: 02.15.0004
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge T500
    1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.25080
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink 8 Ultra
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFDShow
    h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink h.264\AVC
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Antec SLK3000B
    Cooling: Thermalright
    Power Supply: Hiper R580W
    Remote: MCE Remote & Keyboard
    TV: Philips HDTV 26P5521D
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI to HDMI

General.JPG

This is using EVR as renderer, PDVD video, FFDShow audio

Cannot think of anything else relevant atm

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    TV-Server Version: TV Server 1.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: blue two wide
    Windows Version: Windows Vista 32bit SP1
    CPU Type: Core2Duo 6420
    HDD: 6x 500 gig Seagate SATA
    Memory: 4 gig DDR2 800
    Motherboard: Abit AB9 PRO
    Video Card: Nvidia 8600 GT
    Video Card Driver: 175.19
    Sound Card: on board Realtek HD audio
    Sound Card AC3: coax
    Sound Card Driver: ABit Realtek latest
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WnTV Nova-T-500
    1. TV Card Driver: hauppauge_cd_3.4b - \Driver99\hcw99bda.sys
    2. TV Card: Pinacle PCTV 7010i
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-S & DVB-T
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec:
    MPEG2 Audio Codec:
    h.264 Video Codec: coreAVC
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: 28.2
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 pro
    Power Supply:
    Remote: MCE
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Updated my profile to reflect the current system I am testing with; as you can see it is pertty much the same as yours.
    Installed the latest SVN and set all my settings to the same as you, then changed to just one monitor.
    I still cannot alt-tab on full screen.

Could this be a Vista SP1 issue?
    I will have to see if I can find an SP0 box or build one to test.

Anyone else with Vista either SP0 or SP1 please test this and report back your behaviour.

:D
    Problem solved.

The fact you had it working gave me incentive to keep digging.
    I turned on debug logging and turned on watch dog; then did a clean just before my simulation and capture after.
    Whilst inspecting the logs i found this.

2008-07-17 23:36:13.795912 [Debug][MPMain]: VMR9: Repainting -> Playing, Frames: 53
    2008-07-17 23:36:16.830912 [Debug][3]: Planescene.InternalPresentSurface: timePassed = 0.5126953 - dropped 1 frame(s)
    2008-07-17 23:36:16.833912 [Warn.][3]: Main: ***** OnDeviceLost *****
    2008-07-17 23:36:16.834912 [Warn.][3]: Planescene.InternalPresentSurface caught DeviceLostException in InternalPresentSurface
    2008-07-17 23:36:17.127912 [Debug][MPMain]: VMR9: SetRepaint()
    2008-07-17 23:36:17.132912 [Info.][MPMain]: g_Player.doStop() keepTimeShifting = False keepExclusiveModeOn = False
    2008-07-17 23:36:17.133912 [Info.][MPMain]: g_Player.OnStopped()

This reminded me of the VMR9 changes (not recent but......) and I recalled reading a previous post about exclusive mode. Once I turned that off in video render settings it now works and I can use both screens.

Might be worth putting in the wiki for when I forget again in 3 months time :p

solis66

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm not sure its only a Vista issue since I have WinXP SP2.
    And yes, its the same when using <alt><tab>. The video stops playing when MP minimizes.

The graphics card on my laptop is NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M and works well on the normal video performance.
    I use FFDshow as main video codec.

Edit: Tips to myself: Read thread before answering...

It seems to be about the VMR9 settings. When I uncheck 'Use exclusive mode' it all works fine for me now on booth screens.

Thank you guys. What would one do without this forum...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom