Video Card: eVGA nVidia 7600GT 256 MB PCIe 16x
Video Card Driver: latest from nVidia
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3: ?
Sound Card Driver: latest from Asus
1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-1800
1. TV Card Type: NTSC/ATSC/FM - PCIe 1x
1. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV Decoder Filter (?)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA Decoder Filter (?)
Satelite/CableTV Provider: TW / OTA ATSC
Cooling: lots of fans
Power Supply: 500W Rosewell
Remote: FireFly X10 remote

After getting my TV card to be detected (thanks dman!) I now can watch TV, but not in full screen mode. I checked other threads and found either many frustrated users with the same problem or a few tips, such as in this forum post. I did check the Enhanced Video Render (Assuming that is EVR) and unchecked VMR 9 Exclusive mode. Neither one makes a difference. As soon as I use the toolbar of MP to enter full screen mode the video freezes, but the audio still works. I can get out of full screen again, but then I see about the top quarter of the TV menu and that's it. Most of the time I have to use task manager to kill MP.
Any advice on what to do next?

In regards to the remote, the remote control mappings were fine up until build 16429, same for keyboard shortcuts. Now the default is F7/F8 for channel down/up. PageUp and PageDown was wayyyyyy better, all previous keyboard shortcuts and the Firefly X10 mapping was much better before. Any chance to revert this back to how it was? I don't want to make anyone mad, but who chooses F7 and F8 for switching channels??? That must be a mistake.

Nevertheless, the keyboard shortcut / remote mapping I can fix myself, but the full screen issue cannot. Eagerly awaiting some hot tips, before filing a bug.

RamonS

Portal Member
October 8, 2007
OK, here are also some log files. Log1.zip is after I got one of these "Send an error report to Microsoft" messages, that was while watching TV, but before I could get to full full screen mode. I haven't seen this one before.

On a second try I got the full screen freeze and the logs for that are attached as log2.zip. I saw that in this case MP created and error.log, which it didn't for the case above as it seems.

Hope this helps

RamonS

Portal Member
October 8, 2007
I also tried it on 32 bit XP. Again, on the first try I didn't even get to see TV, but get the black screen and a freeze, but no error message of any kind. Since the entire desktop including the Windows task bar are blocked, I need to ctrl+alt+del to get to the task manager and kill MP, which seems to be doing nothing with 60M memory and 0% CPU usage.
Again, the second try got me to see TV, but switching to full screen gets me the freeze. Also, just to clarify it, selecting "full screen" from the MP tool bar is OK (the blueish transparent button at the top of the window, left of the X button). The trouble starts when then selecting full screen (the one that uses the entire monitor) after that from the menu bar. Sure, I can just watch TV in the window, but that defeats the purpose somehow.

Anything else I can try, report, or otherwise do? Thanks in advance!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Are you trying to resize MP with TV\video playing, because that does not work, you need to stop video playing prior to resizing.

alt + enter is the best way of switching windowed\fullscreen if you have keyboard.

RamonS

Portal Member
    October 8, 2007
    Yes, that is exactly what I try to do....and yes, I know that it doesn't work. That is why I posted here.

Your comment implied that entering full screen mode before turning on the TV will work. I set the option to start MP in full screen mode and that works. Still, since there is the option to do so while watching TV it ought to work. Cheesy fix is to remove that option, less cheesy fix is to turn off TV/Video, go into full screen mode, turn TV/Video back on. Not all cheesy fix is to fix it...easier said than done, otherwise it wouldn't be broken.
    I guess that works for now as I typically want full screen anyway.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Your comment implied that entering full screen mode before turning on the TV will work. I set the option to start MP in full screen mode and that works. Still, since there is the option to do so while watching TV it ought to work. Cheesy fix is to remove that option, less cheesy fix is to turn off TV/Video, go into full screen mode, turn TV/Video back on. Not all cheesy fix is to fix it...easier said than done, otherwise it wouldn't be broken.

It's been broken ever since MP used VMR9, if it was easy to fix it would have been done.

Hopefully when MP2 come out this will be finally be put right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom