Future Dirac Integration (1 Viewer)

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
I've been looking into BBC's Dirac codec for a while now and I was wondering whether the team has any plans/thoughts about its' integration into MP and the TV recordings in particular. I know it's still pretty early but the results so far are impressive. Double compression than MPEG2 at the same quality and realtime encoding with an average core2 duo. (On my tests the encoding was actually a lot slower but the reports say otherwise).
Any thoughts?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Any broadcasters using it? As analog is a dying format and digital has the video feed already in compressed form (and TV server is not transcoding on the fly).

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    No it's still under heavy development. It was used internally in BBC for broadcasting the Olympics. But reading about it it seems like we may be looking at a new standard (or not :))

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    This is the second time I've heard about Dirac recently. There was a piece on Slashdot about the Mozilla foundation giving $100,000 to help fund Ogg development. Although the Vorbis (audio) side of Ogg is superior to MP3, Theora (video) is inferior to competing codecs and some have sugested that Dirac should get some more focus instead.

Slashdot | Mozilla Donates $100K To the Ogg Project

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom