Future proof my install (1 Viewer)

komita

Portal Member
August 19, 2011
Home Country
I just received all my parts for my first HTPC build. I am excited and cant wait to get this thing going, but then I dont want to rush it and have to redo everything again.

Question is, since MP 1.2 is around the corner, if I was to install 1.2RC would I be safe in terms of easy upgrade once the final version comes out?Is there anything that I should keep in consideration now to make the process easier then? And do we know what the projected timeline is for hte final release for 1.2? How about 2.0?

As a side note, once I get my blu-ray drive, will I be able to play 3D Blu-ray movies through MP?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
When upgrading from 1.2RC to 1.2final all your settings and databases should be intact (i think this has been the case since 1.1.x installs) so i wouldnt worry about going balls deep with your install.

As for your 3D bluray question i would say its most unlikely youll be able to watch them through MP anytime soon, even with workarounds like the PowerDVD 'plugin' because for one thing even current bluray discs arent officially supported by MP yet, and for another, i think that the file structures for 3D bluray are different again from current bluray discs and as such the decoding of them is in its early stages with regards to converting to .mkv or .mpg4 containers.

komita

Portal Member
August 19, 2011
Home Country
Thanks for the quick reply eetaylog.

I see ... so I guess I'm glad I held off from ordering my blu-ray drive ..
I thought that maybe playing them straight from the blu-ray would be supported. Thanks for clearing it up.

My backup plan was to buy a PS3 to play 3d blu-rays on (I know I could just get a stand alone player but for a little more I can have a PS3 to keep guests entertained) .. I guess I'll start looking

Ok I will install the 1.2RC and slowly build up my setup and knowledge. I will be installing the SteamedMP skin as suggested by other fellow members the process of finding the right plugins easier.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Normal blurays are playable through MP so i wouldnt say its not worth having a bluray drive in your setup (i have one in mine), what i meant was that 3D bluray (as per your question) content probably wouldnt work for a little while until someone writes a plugin for it.

For now though, see these threads for setting your current system up to play normal blurays. As i said, none of them are officially supported by MP, but im told they do work (i was using the PowerDVD plugin for a while but will be testing the bluray handler one sometime soon to see if its any better)...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/bluray-handler-0-9-7-beta-81068/

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/bluray-mediaportal-powerdvd-93618/

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...7/blu-ray-hd-dvd-plugin-arcsoft-player-49357/

Enjoy.

komita

Portal Member
August 19, 2011
Home Country
Thanks ... yes I was talking about the 3D ones .. but in the process completely forgot about the regular blu rays..
you are right, I will g3et the drive .. especially since it's only time until someone makes 3D playable on MP

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom