General question about standby mode (1 Viewer)

Topher5000

Portal Pro
April 5, 2006
I didn't want to hijack the 'question about automating standby' thread, so I'm starting another one.
I store my media in my HTPC, which runs WinXPSP2 & Media Portal. Since I have an HD sat PVR, I only use Media Portal for watching movies. I'd use it for games, but I never figured out how to set up my Logitech gamepad.
I have a modded Xbox in another room to which I stream the media, 99% of the time MP3s. To conserve hydro, I'd like to be able to set my HTPC to standby.
I went into the bios & set it to S3 & wake-on-lan, but it won't wake when I try to play music with my Xbox. I have to go to my HTPC & wiggle the mouse to get it to wake up. I ended up turning the standby off & setting it so that the HDDs turn off after a certain period of time.
Is there a way to set it to standby & still be able to play my media with the Xbox?

Thanks.

gorman

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, Xbox is not capable of sending a magic packet to wake a specific server. If your NIC supports it, you could set the HTPC to wake on any kind of traffic, but that might get it to wake up when you don't desire to.

After a bit of searching, it appears you could get XBMC to execute a phyton script to wake your PC and then play the music it contains. See here:

WOL on XBMC startup - XBMC Community Forum
Wake on Lan setting help - XBMC Community Forum
PC in standby - wake up on selecting video section? - XBMC Community Forum

Topher5000

Portal Pro
April 5, 2006
Since I've set the hard drives to power off after 15 minutes, would standby save much power?
My HTPC has an MSI K8NGM2-FID with an AMD X2 3800+, 2gb RAM, an Asus 8600GT Silent VC, Hauppauge PVR-150, a 320gb WD HDD and a 500gb WD HDD (soon to be upped to 1tb Seagate).
Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom