Get better picture in MP (1 Viewer)

da_king

Portal Member
December 12, 2007
Hi all

Im tottaly new at this and i have search for an answer for this one.

I tried Mp and i got really stuck for it it is easy to use and a nice conf gui.

Now to my problem im using a Hauppauge PVR 150 analog tv card and the picture is getting blurry on my LCD TV. i use the antennaspilt to watch tv on a "normal tv" and the picture there is great in my living room i use the scart to my LCD. i dont know if i "cant" get the same picture into my comp using the tv card as i get using the RF antenna directly to the tv. without the blurry ness i wonder if theres a codec of some sort..

:D

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi, and welcome...

The simple answer is a very close YES. You will never be able to get it exactly the same, but very very close. There are basically three items that influence the picture quality:

1) Make sure that you have a very good graphics-card that specializes in video playback. Game performance is not that important, but video hardware playback assist is very important.

2) Invest in proper video decoder software like "Intervideo", which will enhance your video output.

3) Tweak the Hauppauge PVR 150 registry and other quality settings. Just search online for these, and you will get many hits.

Because every TV/Monitor is different you will have to play with all settings until you get the quality you want.

For example some of the things I have done to get an almost perfect picture on my 42inch plasma are:

1) ATI HD 2600 XT Graphics-Card, with 'Vector adaptive' de-interlacing.
    2) Intervideo Decoder, with 'DxVA' and 'HWMC' enabled.
    3) Enabled 'Use Quality control' settings on my TV-card, which is available for TV2 in Media Portal.
    4) Set the 'DefAvgBitRate' in the registry to 850000000.

da_king

Portal Member
    December 12, 2007
    Thanx for the help
    I use a Nvidia Geforce 5900 graphiccard
    Hauppauge 150-pvr
    amd at 2,0ghz 512 in ram

"Enabled 'Use Quality control' settings on my TV-card, which is available for TV2 in Media Portal." what is that dont know what you mean with TV2 as i said im tottaly new at this.

edit i found quality control but now i wonder where to activate

'DxVA' and 'HWMC' enabled

Greetings da_King

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you "only" have MediaPortal (not running TV server - you KNOW if you have installed this, as it is pretty complicated compared to MP), then you find quality control in setup-> TV -> TV-card -> [edit] -> Quality control tab (on top of my head).

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    For some of the registry tweaks that you can play with, have a look at this link:

http://www.cask-of-amontillado.com/pvr_reg.html

Just be careful with some of the volume tweaks as they might stop your PVR 150 from working, it all depends on which driver versions you use..

TV2 is the TV functionality that is installed with MediaPortal as a default. TV3-server is the new server based TV installation functionality, which is in beta stage of development. I'm one of the users that don’t particularly like the new TV3 (actually I disagree with the way it is being implemented, but many users disagree with me) as I find it restrictive and resource intensive. In future TV2 will be removed and replaced with TV3-server, but until then I'm sticking with TV2. Check out the wiki page if you want to know more about the differences between TV2 and TV3.

Hope you have everything that you need now...and good luck you are going to need it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom