Getting smooth 24p playback (1 Viewer)

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
My findings are from 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 with the refresh rate changer built in.
I have a TV that supports pretty much anything you throw at it (24/25/29/30/50/59/60 p/i)

To sum it up, playback of 50hz material (pal tv) is perfect smooth. Playback of 60hz material is almost as smooth as 50.
Playback of 24hz material is not as smooth.

The comparison I use is the ! tool in MP. When playing 50hz the line is moving perfectly smooth across the screen (with some hickups sometimes) and watching TV with MP has never been better, I don't know how I was able to live with it before (when I had the tv set to 60hz at all times). I don't have that many 60hz sources to test with, but the few I had was almost as good as the 50hz, but still it is noticably worse.

The problem is 24p material, it's nowhere near as smooth, I've tried using 24hz/50hz/60hz on 24p material but the result is the same, the line is not moving as smooth as with 50hz material. Am I doing something wrong ?

The MP menu is not even consistant with video playback.
If I set MP FPS to 50, and output hz to 50 = perfect smooth mp menu, and playback of 25fps video
If I set MP FPS to 60, and output hz to 60 = perfect smooth mp meny, slightly worse playback of 30fps video
If I set MP FPS to 24, and output hz to 24 = stuttering menu, even worse stuttering playback of 24fps video

Playing 24p video with 50hz is probably slightly worse than playing it at 24hz, this is to be expected thou.

I also have another issue with 24p, it is not consistant, but some 24p source have this problem, the problem is that the speed of playback is not consistant, it frequently speed up the video, like it has to catch up with audio or something. This only happens in MP, windows media player plays the same file without this problem.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    If even MP menus are jerkky / stuttering with 24Hz refresh rate that would point into direction that the TV is not having true 24p support but instead it is internally conveting it for example to 50Hz.

Please provide the tv model so people can use Google to find out if that is true :)

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    You said this only happened after you loaded MP 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 Read my thread about jerky 1080i after loading MP 1.0.1 The issue may not be in the refresh rate changer, but their new use of textures to write the video under VMR9... I had to buy a new video card to restore steady video images.

BTW, I disabled the "new" refresh-rate changer 'feature' as it played havoc on my PJ constantly resyncing... arghhhhhh.

KRA

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I didn't say it didn't happen before 1.0.1, it has allways been the like that. But the refresh rate changer opened my eyes to how good it could and should be.

I believe the issue is related to refreshrate/framerate sync. I've noticed that playing 24p with 50hz gives a noticable stutter every second, kind of like when you play 30p on a pal tv (50hz), this is very odd. And it gave me the idea that the source was in fact 30p and not 24p, but MP detect it as 24p, and mplayer detect it as 24p, so I guess it really is 24p. Playing the same clip at 60hz gives it a noticable speedup, the speedup is allways at the same place I can watch a scene over and over and the speed up is allways at the same place, but it happens with all codecs so it has to be a render issue. As pointed out in the first post, this only happens in MP, plays fine in windows media player.

qwertzer

Portal Member
    February 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

MajorTom

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2006
    The bug has been postponed to "future releases". That makes me very sad because 24p playback is not usable. With the TV set to 60hz, there is a slight stuttering which is annoying. With set to 24hz, the video runs smoothly for one minute and it gets worse from minute to minute. Either audio/video are out of sync or very bad stuttering.

If this bug won't be fixed, I will probably switch to a different Media Center solution (Win7?)

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I dunno what source of 24p material is used in this thread, that's why I wonder. The only 24p playback source I use are bluray discs. By means of the bluray plugin and the two profiles set in Catalyst ( 50Hz & 24Hz ) bluray plays smooth and is perfectly synced. So what kind of 24p material refers to this thread?

MajorTom

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2006
    I assume the blu-ray plugin uses an external player (or is there a new plugin I'm not aware of?), so this issue doesn't appear.
    There is a lot 24p material available on the internet ... many files are illegal, but not all.

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assume the blu-ray plugin uses an external player (or is there a new plugin I'm not aware of?), so this issue doesn't appear.
    There is a lot 24p material available on the internet ... many files are illegal, but not all.

ahh, now I got it ;) . Yes, I refer to the PowerDVD Plugin, which starts PDVD external by Multishortcut and switches 50&24Hz accordingly :D.

No wonder then why this "files" cannot be played back smoothly... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom