[other] Getting the word out.... MORE PR!!!!! (2 Viewers)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, as most people who know me from the forums know, I am pretty serious about my MP! I sell custom HTPCs and Home Media Networks powered by MP (no I dont actually sell MP, just the hardware and my time). This is a nice little side business... but it could be better. The problem is, nobody knows what MediaPortal is or what it can do. To help with this I would like to see MP in more trade shows. As I live in Dallas I can help with any shows in this region (Dallas/FW, Houston, Austin, OKC, Shreveport and New Orleans).

We have one coming up in Dallas on the 14th-16th of July. Here is a link on the shows webpage that shows their other sponsors.
    http://bigdesignevents.com/conference/sponsor/
    I don't mind using my money, my hardware and my time to help spread the word. But I would need some kind of official support from the MP team. GFX to help with MP propaganda, data about MP's history.... things like that.

Anyone think this is a good thing? A bad thing? Anyone else want to do the same for their neck-of-the-woods? I figure if other want to do it too, any MP banners, flyers, all propaganda could be shared. Once I am thru with a show in Dallas, I could then ship the propaganda to Joe Blow in Seattle how is going to run the MP stand at a fair or something. And when he is done he ships them to Suzie Q in New York who has a trade show the following week. Due to shipping costs and languages, US propaganda stays in the US, German propaganda stays in Germany.... etc... etc.... etc....

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Really? No comments? Nobody offering to run a table at a show in their town? Nobody offering ideas for PR material? Nobody offering assistance, like "My brother-in-law owns a print shop, I might be able to get banners, brochures, flyers, etc... printed at cost"?

Well..... shucks =(

Looks like I am going at this alone!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi.
    As I said in PM, the team is aware of this thread, and, on behalf of the team, I think I can say for sure that your initiative is really appreciated!

Perhaps you could be more specific with what you need/want from us.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    No, no.... nothing from the team =) wanted more support from other users =) Or ideas from team members, as I am sure some or most have thot about this type of PR already. I wanted to see more users of MP offering their time or expertise in this matter... U guys are busy enough as it is =)

Ya Sprag, out of the team members I PMed about the thread you were the only one to respond =) So I know u are on board to get more PR!!!

After thinking more about it tho, i guess this area of the forum is not the best place to get the MP "users" attention =(

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi Lyfesaver74!

Sorry that it took me so long to respond (full time job + building a new house for my family does not leave much time for MP).
    It would be awesome to get MediaPortal more known in the US - which will hopefuly result in more users and developers/testers/designers from the US. :)

But I would need some kind of official support from the MP team. GFX to help with MP propaganda, data about MP's history.... things like that.
    What kind of GFX?
    Do you need some new created, or do you just want the permission from the team to use the official gfx? :)
    MP's histroy is a bit documented in the about section already - if you need more info, shoot.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Lyfesaver74
    You already know from our long discussion on IRC you have my full support. However, I don't wish to make this a Team only initiative because as you accurately pointed out it will only work well if more users get on board with ideas, offers to support aso.

I am happy to write a Blog about promoting MP to stir up some interest in the topic and refer users to this thread. I just felt we needed a little more clarity first.

infinite.loop - some of the gfx lyfesaver74 and I discussed are:
    • a big MP banner for the booth,
    • flyer about MediaPortal - and imo you are right that we have much of the content already on our website as well as in the Press Release I wrote. So we could produce that easily especially if someone can offer to print it for us.
    • Cheap Handouts like MP stickers, coasters,pens key chains or some such - pretty much a MUST for US market :) I suggested that if we had stickers in a variety of sizes we could just stick them on anything, pens, key chains, whatever.
    Ideally we develop a kit that has everything someone needs to demo MP at a trade show/convention.

As I mentioned to Lyfesaver74 we have a number of great promo videos already (mostly thanks to you Chris!) which could be used at trade shows and that really great 'training' video on Youtube which you liked.

My idea is wherever possible to do trade shows in conjunction with partners such as HTPC manufacturers, TV Card manufactures aso, so they can use MP to demo their hardware nicely, and we piggy back at little cost. To be honest, all we really need is one good sponsor who does a lot of trade shows/conventions and that would go a LONG way. However Lyfesaver74's idea to have MP users do it, is much easier and more practical in the short run. It also has the benefit that the focus is on MP.

So I think we should definitely support this in any way we can! But I agree with Lyfesaver74, I would like to see more support from users because the Team can barely manage what we have now!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    @Infinite.loop - some of the gfx lyfesaver74 and I discussed are:
    • a big MP banner for the booth,
    • flyer about MediaPortal - and imo you are right that we have much of the content already on our website as well as in the Press Release I wrote. So we could produce that easily especially if someone can offer to print it for us.
    • Cheap Handouts like MP stickers, coasters,pens key chains or some such - pretty much a MUST for US market :) I suggested that if we had stickers in a variety of sizes we could just stick them on anything, pens, key chains, whatever.
    Ideally we develop a kit that has everything someone needs to demo MP at a trade show/convention.
    Sounds great!

For round stickers, our MP Logo (Icon) can be used easiely. For the rest of the gfx a skilled designer is needed.
    I am not sure if Joost has time for this because of his new Avalon skin....

So I think we should definitely support this in any way we can! But I agree with Lyfesaver74, I would like to see more support from users because the Team can barely manage what we have now!
    Correct. :(

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Hey guys... Yes I have spent the day getting a lot of info together... prices of things you need/want to have... prices of shows that would be good for MP to do.... sent out some emails to local business for sponsors (only 17 so far).... things like that. I am breaking it all down in a word doc. I will be emailing it to Dadeo either tonight or in the morning (it's 2:30 AM here) and he can pass it on to you.

Here is a brief breakdown for PR material: Banners 3ft x 1.6ft, 6ft x 2.5ft, 8ft x 2.5ft (1 of each)... Flyers 8.5in x 5.47in (x50)... Brochures standard tri-fold (x50)... And stickers various sizes (x200)... this is the bear minimum for a trade show, I feel. With the banners being a one time cost. I think about 5-10 serious PR packets need to be made up front tho. Ones that have a BIG brochure, pen, keychain, tote bag (can be plastic) to put it all in, maybe a 4GB USB drive... all with logos on them for any SERIOUS contacts that might be made. The beauty for this kind of PR is that is good for both publicity and new business arrangements! =)

EDIT:
    Oh and I can use the gfx you guys have now and make it work for all sizes.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    For round stickers, our MP Logo (Icon) can be used easiely. For the rest of the gfx a skilled designer is needed.
    I am not sure if Joost has time for this because of his new Avalon skin....
    Yep but I believe our community has many talented gfx designers who may not have the time or nerve to face doing a skin but can work magic in Adobe.

I think we have variations of our logo with text that might work well on banners and flyer/brochure covers. Brochure will need the most design imo. Stickers can be small with only MP logo, larger (to stick on books or PC) with text, or logo with circular text around (for coasters etc - you can stick em on dead CD/DVDs and use em). So not THAT much work for a skilled designer as concept and basic gfx are already there.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Anything branded up with the MP logo, sadly needs to be made clear who\what we are about, we are not coca-cola or pepsi, so logo on own means pretty much nothing.

At least website address should be on stickers and other material printed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom