Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2007
    Helsinki - Finland
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hey,

I'm thinking of buying this card:
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1195&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=136#
    This way I can play more recent game on my HTPC [Colin Mcrae Dirt, FIFA 2007, ...] :D

Now my "problem", this card doesn't support HDCP, so I'm a bit worried it won't play DRM-protected high-defenition movies (--> in the future).
    Also it does not support HDMI.

Are there any alternative gaming-gfx-cards? Supporting both HDCP & HDMI?
    Or shouldn't I worry too much about those features?

SMa

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2007
    Helsinki - Finland
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Intresting,
    but won't they be too hot for passive cooling?
    Like ATI's high-end series, compared to nVidia's high-end series.

carthol

Portal Member
    June 26, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hey,

I'm thinking of buying this card:
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1195&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=136#
    This way I can play more recent game on my HTPC [Colin Mcrae Dirt, FIFA 2007, ...] :D

Now my "problem", this card doesn't support HDCP, so I'm a bit worried it won't play DRM-protected high-defenition movies (--> in the future).
    Also it does not support HDMI.

Are there any alternative gaming-gfx-cards? Supporting both HDCP & HDMI?
    Or shouldn't I worry too much about those features?
    I am not sure why you say the card doesn't support HDMI and HDCP...it apears to support both of these according to the link you provided.

They show an external adapter for using HDMI, and they included the audio passthrough support that is avaliable through the 8600 series cards.

It also shows the "HDTV Ready" symbol. If I'm not mistaken, that usually means it has the hardware accelerator for HD content.

Am I missing something here?

SMa

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2007
    Helsinki - Finland
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

thematrixz

Portal Pro
    June 20, 2007
    Home Country
    but it doesn't say the card supports hdcp ;)
    and I think they just recently updated that page, because most of that information wasn't there when I looked it up.

I bought this card now:
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1236&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=137
    and I'm having huge driver-related problems with it, I hope they'll release new drivers soon!

If you bought the Nvidia 8600 board, you'd have driver issue too. Nvidia Vista driver is almost barebone with very little features that people want (Nview, Digital Vibrant,...)

Both ATI and Nvidia seem to release their chips before getting the bugs out of their drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom