Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 and i3 cpu (1 Viewer)

vazeel

Portal Member
January 17, 2011
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi all,

My first time asking a question on this forum (and believe me, it won’t be the last)
I want to build my own htpc but have some issues with the choice of hardware.

At first I was going for an i3 Sandy Bridge solution, until I read about the malfunctioning of the chipset this evening.
So I had to start from scratch and this is what I have in mind right now.

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
Why: It has USB3.0 and coaxial out. Coax is the only connection my receiver supports right now

CPU: Intel Core i3-550, 3.2 GHz
Why: No specific reason

GFX-card: Asus EN9500GT 1GB
Why: I got it from my brother for my birthday, so another GFX-card is not really an option

PSU: Seasonic S12II-380
Why: low noise

Memory: Kingston valueram 2*2GB DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600
Why: best reviews (that I’ve read)

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F2 EcoGreen Desktop Class HD154U 1.5TB
Why: can’t use a NAS, maybe in the future but not right now

ODD: random dvd-player (can play Blu-ray with ps3)

Case and fans: I honestly don’t know, there are a lot of choices, maybe you can help me pick the right one? :p

Now for the requirements: it has to be able to play HD smoothly.
I’m also gonna use a TV-card (analog) with digital encoding, if that matters for something.

Do you think that this is a good set-up?

Thanks in advance

ps sorry for my english :sorry:

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    looking good there
    the case is really up to your own preference..theres zalman, silverstone, ..etc take a look in the completed projects section of the forums for some ideas =) (or my sig)

TV cards depend on your tv broadcast system...we have DVB-T in australia ..no sure how u guys and gals do it over there! take a look at the wiki for supported cards

TV Cards - MediaPortal Wiki

if you need an analogue card it must have hardware encoding onboard

vazeel

Portal Member
    January 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Thanks for your reply.

The case is something I’m gonna pick last I think, really a lot of choice and different prices. Your project is very nice though :p

In Belgium we have a couple of options for TV. The 2 I’m limited to are: get a STB for DVB-C and use that and only that for digital TV. The smartcard is linked to the STB… Or I can watch good old analog TV, what I’m gonna do.

I came across this card: hauppauge wintv pvr 500 multi-PAL MCE. For as far as I know, this one has hardware encoding and I think it’s supported by MP.
    Is that right?

glenn 1990

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    In Belgium we have a couple of options for TV. The 2 I’m limited to are: get a STB for DVB-C and use that and only that for digital TV. The smartcard is linked to the STB… Or I can watch good old analog TV, what I’m gonna do.

Why not digital tv through sattelite.

vazeel

Portal Member
    January 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

Why not digital tv through sattelite.

I don't think it's worth it yet. You get only 4 channels in HD. In my opinion, you only get extra interactivity and I don't need that. + There are no 'extra channels' I realy like. I'm pretty happy with the analog channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom