Girlzzz only !!! My view on MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    ==============GIRLS ONLY THREAD ===============

Background:
    This is a thread I thought about a couple of month ago. Tonight, it is just after midnight I sit here with a nice glass of wine and remembered this old idea. So here it goes:

Idea:
    As you may have noticed, the htpc world is very male dominated. There is currently no woman under the active forum members (at least none that outed herself). As you may all know from own experience, the ultimate test for a htpc is if it is really accepted by your girlfriend/wive (or both ;) ), also known as WAF= WomanAcceptanceFactor.

So this thread has two aspects:
    # a fun factor
    # a serious background: If we can gather what keeps girls from using the htpc or prefer the traditional TV, we may learn something to improve MP. Usability is the headline Frodo announced for 0.2

How it works

# In this thread, it is strictly and only allowed to post for females!!!

# I will open another thread, labeled "[discussion] where male users can comment, answer on contributions in this thread. This is meant to keep this thread clean only for female thoughts and comments on MP!
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5628

# As girlfriend/wife you do not need to, but can of cource, open a forum membership on your own. You can post with your boyfriends/husbands account. But please sign your posting with a name, eather your real name or a slick nickname like "supergirl" or whatever. This way, people can address you correctly if they want to reply in the discussion thread.

About what to post?

# Please feel free to post about what you think fit
    # This might be, why you use MP, or why you do not use MP
    # This might be which parts of MP u use, what your friends think about your htpc
    # This might be things you feel need to be improved to make you a user of MP
    # This might be what your kids think about MP
    # This might be what you think about your boyfriend/husband spending more time with MP than with you :?

Fin:
    Since I look through the forum almost every evening, my wife already already announced: "Hey tomtom21000 (really using my nick), one day soon, I will post some very interesting contributions on MP-forums. so, if you ever come across a very strange posting from tomtom21000, it sure wasn´t me :)
    So, maybe I can canalize this potentially criminal energy into having her state her view on MediaPortal on the next few days.

tomtom21000 :wink:

O.k. Girlzzz, it´s your go now

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Linn, Lyxalig's girlfriend speaking;

I believe this app is very, very good. I like the fact that wen thing go the wrong way, and I can't restore it, it comes in handy with a boyfriend that fixes the mess.

I love the weather module, and the fact that I can listen to music in a easy manor. And I really really love that I can browse through his movies with the controll, and watch the frontcover, and rating.

Thoug, I believe it should be more stable so that I can spend some more time with my man.... that's a demand, not a request!!

I also think this app should get a page or two in the newspapers, and that more people should be more aware of its possibilities. The only reason I know what to do, is because of "Lyxalig", it should be more obvious.

My thoughts anyway.. Linn :)

d508dq

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    Melbourne
    Wife Approval Factor

Hi,

I stumbled across this thread... I read about 'wife/girlfriend' acceptability one too many times... and decided to compare a search for "girlfriend" with a search for "boyfriend". Very illuminating!!! Try it!!

So, I'm happy to out myself as a girl, and will update my profile accordingly.

I am the female owner of this profile. Yes, I am a girl and I am building a HTPC (my first... to be honest, I'm not much of a tv freak, so I've never been interested until another family member - who shall remain nameless - started looking at digital video recorders... seemed very expensive to me for what you got... I thought a PC would offer more value for money).

What am I looking for? An easy life. Seriously. Something I can set up (even if it takes a bit of work) as a once off, train the family to use it (including our rather intelligent cat) and never have to touch it again. I don't want to have to remind people how to rip a CD or search for a movie by date... it's got to be easy to use, using nothing but a remote control.

So, I need to be able to set up a one-click link to the family's favourite radio stations.

EPG is a major concern - I fear this could be a real headache in Australia. I have no interest in maintaining this stuff, so if it isn't taken care of automatically, it just won't happen.

Oh, another thought... convergence is good. If I can use my htpc to upload digital photos from camera to hdd (one-click solution, of course) then so much the better. I hate waiting for the PC out the back to boot up just because my camera card is full.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts once I've started using MediaPortal :wink:

d508dq
    technogirl extraordinaire

sonome

Portal Pro
    June 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Welcome, from another female forum member :D EPG shouldn't be too much of a concern - there are a few options available for us in Australia (I personally use a script that scrapes the www.tvguide.org.au site, a "community" tv guide). There is a good thread about options for Aussies in the EPG section of the forum...

d508dq

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    Melbourne
    I guess I find it kind of interesting that this post was started by a guy. (I believe?)

I wonder whether there are really any major differences in the requirements for htpc software - as perceived by women vs. men. I mean, most people who are building a htpc will want it to be used by less technical family members, right?

6point6

Portal Member
    March 29, 2006
    Yay. nah i don't think it's dominated by mansweat..
    Myself is a great movie lover, decorated my house with a mini cin with a 50" LCD and 2k watt surround..

I firstly installed WMC.. and i hated it. never even thought it would be so incompatible... So i started to look for anything else that would look like it.. and actually work :D

Thanx for media portal it rocks, and im gonna donate as soon i get my salage :D

Sign. Tina

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom