Good Wireless Mouse (1 Viewer)

weaver4

Portal Member
June 1, 2007
I was wondering if someone could recommend a good wireless mouse. The last two that I got said "Wireless" but when I got them home the range was only a few feet. I am looking for one that has 20 to 30ft range so I can use a mouse across the room on my Big Screen TV.

I now am using a Kensington PilotMouse, but it is flaky as they come.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello weaver4,

I tested some Remote Control devices

excerpt from my HTPC project description
    Remote control:

Well I then considered how to control the HTPC most efficiently. I tested some remote handheld trackballs (Trust and Targus) and the Logitech Harmony 525 . The trackballs didn't provide enough functions in my opinion and the Harmony 525 does not work precisely enough in combination with the iMon VFD which comes along with the Silverstone LC11MS Case.
    So I decided to go a completely unusual way by ordering a Wii Remote. It is the standard input device for the Nintendo Wii gaming console. This nice piece of technology provides some very handy features. It is connected via Bluetooth and has a very unique interface design since it reacts on movement and relative positioning to an infrared target. I'm using Glovepie, an application which allows to freely create scripts to determine which input from the WiiMote result in which action on the Computer. So for example a roll of a specified amount of degrees results in emulating the Mousewheel function, the buttons also are programmed the way I need them, the LED's which are normally used to indicate the player number are used to display the battery level.

So depending on how sophisticated you like to go the WiiMote might be of interest for you.

There also is another option. This mouse was released recently and I haven't got my hands on it yet but you might have a look: MX Air™ Rechargeable Cordless Air Mouse.

Maybe this helps you to find the right direction :)

-level20peon

weaver4

Portal Member
    June 1, 2007
    Wow, thanks for the info.

For what I am doing I think a StreamZap remote and a mouse is all I need. But I need a wireless mouse that has good RF range; not three feet.

So that is what I am looking for a standard mouse with extended range.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wow, thanks for the info.

Just my 2 cents :)

For what I am doing I think a StreamZap remote and a mouse is all I need. But I need a wireless mouse that has good RF range; not three feet.

So that is what I am looking for a standard mouse with extended range.

Well most bluetooth mice should do the trick then. There are three bluetooth classes. Class 1 has a range of up to 100 meter (300 feet), Class 2 goes up to (!) 10 meter (30 feet). So basically you should look which class the mouse of your choice has since most standard wireless devices use a technology called "FastRF" which has the range you don't want (about 3-6 feet) ;).
    But consider: Class 1 will most likely disturb any close WLAN connections seriously. I already made that experience.

-level20peon

ScaryBob

Portal Member
    March 25, 2007
    London, Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You might want to check out Gyration mouse products at gyration.com They are a little odd looking but some people like them. I have a Logitech Bluetooth media mouse that works well at 10'. The USB dongle is on an extension cable which increases the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom