GPU question - change or modify? (1 Viewer)

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I currently have a MSI Cyclone GTX460 GPU in my Mediaportal server. I was playing games on it also, but have since removed them and switched to an Xbox360 for gaming.

I'm using SAF6, and I want to switch to using the LAVF CUVID codec - however, whilst the GTX460 is silent on idle or using PDVD11 codec, as soon as I switch to LAV codec, the fan speed ramps up on the GTX460 and is unbearable..

I can replace the card with another model - I'd want whatever the best silent / or near silent card is at the moment.

I should also say, I mostly watch live tv, so 1080i stuff..

The other option is to try to quieten the card I have - an aftermarket cooler or bios change, but it's very difficult to figure out what or how - underclock it maybe? I'd prefer not to have to run Afterburner, so BIOS mod would be better..

Any suggestions?

P

P.D

I would suspect a aftermarket cooler would not be far off the price of a Asus gt430 silent, which will do what you want.

Just a thought to add to your conundrum ;)

Ray

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yeah, a GT430 was a consideration.. Is there anything better at the moment? I couldn't see anything to be honest..

I could then always sell the GTX460 or reuse it elsewhere...

EDIT : OH! I also use the GTX460 card to bistream True HD and DTS HD Master - I presume this does the same? (I don't have a sound card in the pc)

I'm looking at getting this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0VWT2PR9T79CY26BVCNH but can't find any specs which say it supports bitstreaming...

Philip Schuster

August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I wouldn't bother with spending money on the card, I put the things in a cabinet that can be closed, a good case with some isolation could also drain out the fan noise a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

No idea if you're still around, but I'd love to know if you've had any issues with a VM doing the TV tuning? I tried a Win7 and Win10 VM with my TV tuner passed through via Unraid 6 and it would always drop packets when tuned to HD channels via DVB-T2. SD channels always seemed to be ok.
    No idea if you're still around, but I'd love to know if you've had any issues with a VM doing the TV tuning? I tried a Win7 and...
    MediaServer8 is an unRAID based storage system which, using virtualisation technology, also incorporates a MediaPortal / ArgusTV...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 TV tuner questions DE
    ok, just did some searching, and found the settings i needed to fix the interlacing. its working now, though the picture quality is a little fuzzy in spots, maybe i just have high expectations. I am using analog signal after all since I refuse to have a cable receiver attached to a computer that has a tv tuner, just seems dumb to have...
    ok, just did some searching, and found the settings i needed to fix the interlacing. its working now, though the picture quality is...
    I have a Hauppauge HVR2250 which i'm using in analog mode to get my channels I'm running MP1.30 as a server and XBMC as a client...
    Replies
    Views
    Yeah I don't understand SAF since LAV is all you need as far as I can tell.
    Yeah I don't understand SAF since LAV is all you need as far as I can tell.
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1 MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP Windows Version: Windows 7 x64 SP1 CPU Type: Intel Celeron G530 (2.4...
    Replies
    Views
    Yes you're right that this card (and other ATI and Nvidia cards I believe) have a problem when running in multi-display mode, even at idle/2D, that causes the clocks to run at semi-3D speeds but they should stay steady. However, with the help of someone over at the AMD forums, I've found that there's two things that cause these...
    Yes you're right that this card (and other ATI and Nvidia cards I believe) have a problem when running in multi-display mode, even...
    MediaPortal Version: v1.2B MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP Windows Version: Win7 Ult 64 CPU Type: Athlon II X4 630 HDD: 2TB...
    Replies
    Views
    I checked the settings in MP and it is on ffdshow DXVA and VMR9. I also checked the cpu while playing a HD movie (x264 mkv) and it is almost 0%. Also I know when it is using the gpu, because the PIV cpu is too slow to do decent hd playback. I have no idea why it works with VMR9 and not with EVR, but I am not complaining, it works...
    I checked the settings in MP and it is on ffdshow DXVA and VMR9. I also checked the cpu while playing a HD movie (x264 mkv) and it...
    Hi! I currently have a PIV3.2 ghz / silent NVIDIA 8600GT HTPC running and DXVA is also running fine. I would like to upgrade...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom