Graphics Card Help (1 Viewer)

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello,

I would like to seek some advice on Graphics Cards for My HTPC. I am looking for one capable of decoding HD content preferably also with HDCP (of which I have found plenty!) but it needs to be fairly quiet, I have no way of knowing from the manufacturers page what the noise output would be hence me asking everyone here.

I have tried the HD4870 (which I purchased for my Gaming PC) but although relatively quiet puts out a lot of heat and also an NVidia 8600GT which sounded like a tornado was tearing through my case ripping up small homesteads, villagers and all!

My onboard graphics (Intel G35) is quite satisfactory at present but I would like to add a little bit of muscle just in case.

Thanks in advance,

John

Case: Antec Fusion 430 (Silver)
    MOBO: ASUS P5E- VM HDMI
    Memory: Corsair 4.0GB
    TV Card: Technotrend S2-3200 + CI
    LG HD DVD/BD ROM drive
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit OS
    Media Portal RC2 (Singleseat)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I think the main consensus is still prefering ATI for picture quality, even if there drivers are a bit how shall i say "quirky"

possibly something like this, if you have the room ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Good luck with your choice.

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks, the problem is though that it takes up two slots, the adjacent slot is used for the tuner card and CI although I could change tuner cards! Does it give out a lot of heat?

Thanks,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom