Graphics Card (Smaller is better!!!) (1 Viewer)

takingover

Portal Pro
April 10, 2006
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for a graphics card for my MSI Mega 865 case it has to be AGP (8x) and support DirectX 9. However due to the size of my case I want to get the smallest possible card as my current card is quite large and it disrupts the airflow in the case.

Any help of suggestions would be great
P.S. Use MP on a 32" LCD TV 1360 x 768

Thanks
Jay

Requirements:
- DVI Output
- DirectX 9
- AGP (X8)
- Smallest possible physical size

mycrow

Portal Member
July 17, 2006
Berlin
for mediaportal to work correctly, you need a card that is directX 9 compatible, which is the case for most of the cards available.

If it's not for gaming, a nvidia 5200 chip and 128 MB card should do. They are pretty cheap (around 35-40 EUR), not very big and are cooled passively (so, QUIET!) . Have a look at the cards from (for example):
EVGA
Gigabyte
MSI
Club3D
etc, etc....

If you want to use nvidias purevideo codecs (hardware acceleration) for digital videos you have to climb up the ladder a bit (eg. 6800 chip). However IMHO, the cost, increased heat production, increased size of the card etc outweighs the benefits of hardware accellaration.

hope was able to help a bit....

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I have THIS card and it runs quite well. I had a 5200FX that burned up.. and I told Gigabyte to send me this one... they did. It's small, fanless and has all the connections on the card. Some of the card manufactures are using half height cards and then using a ribbon cable for the VGA connector... I have heard that sometimes you can loose some quality when they do this... just something to be aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom