Graphics Card (1 Viewer)

deppeler

Portal Pro
June 23, 2006
I have a nVidia geforce4 420 64mb card which even though it is not up to the specs it still works MP fine.

I am looking to upgrade, would this card be a great improvement for $50 (US)?
GeForce FX6200 256MB 8x AGP Video Card

or if not which would be better for around $50 - $80 US

thanks

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    deppeler

Much Better, but to be doubley sure check your motherboard supports AGP 8X, for the best use of the card.

Regards

deppeler

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Paranoid Delusion said:
    deppeler

Much Better, but to be doubley sure check your motherboard supports AGP 8X, for the best use of the card.

Regards

It looks like it the motherboard only supports 4x, does that mean this card won't work (is it backward compatible?)?
    If not what should I get?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It will work, but not up to it's full capabilities.

I think it's worth sticking with what you have and maybe upgrading to a new setup in the future, as most new boards are pci-e x 16 which increases the speed of the information from the mothereboard to the card yet again.
    this will become necessary for futureproofing for a few years to come, especially as AGP motherboards are getting rarer in availability.
    Good luck in whatever you choose.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    deppeler said:
    It looks like it the motherboard only supports 4x, does that mean this card won't work (is it backward compatible?)?
    I just helped my brother upgrade a system with a 5500 graphics card and it had a 4x AGP slot. Works fine and it even seems to play movies ok but I don't know about TV recording.

To be honest, with what socket 754 CPUs and motherboards cost you might be better off saving your money and upgrading the entire thing.

deppeler

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Tech Geek said:
    deppeler said:
    I just helped my brother upgrade a system with a 5500 graphics card and it had a 4x AGP slot. Works fine and it even seems to play movies ok but I don't know about TV recording.

To be honest, with what socket 754 CPUs and motherboards cost you might be better off saving your money and upgrading the entire thing.

yea might be the way to go...thanks

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    Newegg have a few combo deals with 754 boards and processors at the moment. Athlon 64 3000 with Biostar mtm800 for 157 dollars, there is a sempron combo 2800 I think for 99 dollars. Both have VGA onboard (bleugh) but have an 8x AGP slot. 6channel sound too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom