Grouping / rename of the foreign titles (1 Viewer)

vpupkin

Portal Pro
March 26, 2011
Hi RoChess, grouping / autorename feature in IMDB+ is awesome, but it seems to me that it only really works for English-native titles. I have a bunch of titles in my custom rename xml:

<rename id="tt0091431" title="Armour of God I (Long xiong hu di)" sortby="Armour of God 1" />
<rename id="tt0099558" title="Armour of God II: Operation Condor (Fei ying gai wak)" sortby="Armour of God 2" />

But the title will really depend on plugin settings (i.e. foreign vs. domestic name). Is there any way to handle this?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi RoChess, grouping / autorename feature in IMDB+ is awesome, but it seems to me that it only really works for English-native titles. I have a bunch of titles in my custom rename xml:

<rename id="tt0091431" title="Armour of God I (Long xiong hu di)" sortby="Armour of God 1" />
    <rename id="tt0099558" title="Armour of God II: Operation Condor (Fei ying gai wak)" sortby="Armour of God 2" />

But the title will really depend on plugin settings (i.e. foreign vs. domestic name). Is there any way to handle this?

The custom rename database part is done at the very end, the only step done after that is the Special Edition system, so those titles you used should have been the result you see.

If it is not, then something else might be going on, such as an error in the syntax that makes the XML file be skipped entirely. This would show in the movingpictures.log file, but if you are unable to read the log file yourself, then just provide it to me as attachment in your reply on here. The header of the XML files contain a reference to a site you can use to make sure the XML file contains no errors. For example you might have used a '&' character for a movie title and forgot to XML encode it into &amp;. This then causes an error and disables the entire file and all your custom rename entries are not applied.

vpupkin

Portal Pro
    March 26, 2011
    No, the rename works just fine - my point is that it works for me only as part of the custom database because I put rename entries in the way I want to see them. I'd much rather prefer if grouping information is brought in via main rename xml - i.e. information that Armour of God I and II are part of the group. Currently this doesn't seem to be possible as some people will have a set up of displaying this as:

Armour of God I
    Armour of God II: Operation Condor

some will do

Armour of God I (Long xiong hu di)
    Armour of God II: Operation Condor (Fei ying gai wak)

some will do in reverse etc. Because rename does rename exactly, there is no way that I can see that non-English titles can be supported in the main rename database - am I right?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    No, the rename works just fine - my point is that it works for me only as part of the custom database because I put rename entries in the way I want to see them. I'd much rather prefer if grouping information is brought in via main rename xml - i.e. information that Armour of God I and II are part of the group. Currently this doesn't seem to be possible as some people will have a set up of displaying this as:

Armour of God I
    Armour of God II: Operation Condor

some will do

Armour of God I (Long xiong hu di)
    Armour of God II: Operation Condor (Fei ying gai wak)

some will do in reverse etc. Because rename does rename exactly, there is no way that I can see that non-English titles can be supported in the main rename database - am I right?

Yeah, the default rename database currently only supports one way. So I went with the full "English (Foreign)" format on most titles that would normally be shown like that with the rename system disabled and the "Add foreign title" option enabled. The reason is that a user that prefers to not have that, can copy-and-paste the titles in question into their custom rename database and delete the 'extra' stuff. Whereas if I went the other way then a user would have to copy-and-paste the "English" title entries and then Google/IMDb search to figure out the Foreign/Original title to add.

Since removing is easier then adding, I went with the full "English (Foreign)" for the default one.

However when I figure out a way to incorporate the multi-language default rename database support, I might be able to also use that system to come up with an easy way to offer a selection between those two as well. Actually now that I think about it, I might rewrite things so that it would show as:

<rename id="tt0091431" title="Armour Of God I" foreign="Long Xiong Hu Di" />

And then it would rely on the setting for those users that want foreign title added.

Will look into it, have to be sure I can make such a drastic change at code level without breaking it for existing users.

vpupkin

Portal Pro
    March 26, 2011
    Would be nice, I have a ton of HK movie series, and it's much better when it is supported in the main database - thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom