SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Whoo!

Nvidia have announced the Nvidia 520 series graphics card..aimed directly at the HTPC market!

The only fanless card ive seen so far is from Asus..prolly more later.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

look really great!

EDIT: oops there seems to be 3D support after all..nice one..this is the full package

there is a 530 card coming out later this year and id imagine the speeds might be a little more and some more features but the 520 seems to be all one would need

Epedemic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2006
    This might be what i have been looking for :D

Full 3D HDMI 1.4 support on a Nvidia card with passive cooling :D

Seems it does DTS-MA & TrueHD bitstreaming as well :D

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: GT 520 htpc cards

If you compare the stats to a also passiv GT430 you will find the difference.
    So GT430 has also 3D if needed. Hopefully GT520 will acaptable for 1080i material.

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just bought one so will let you know how I get on. Sick of hearing the fan on my GT220 whirring up!

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Just bought one so will let you know how I get on. Sick of hearing the fan on my GT220 whirring up!

Looking forward to what you think, as I'm about to update my htpc, and i'm looking to make it as quiet as possible.

Amazon have put a 4 week lead time on the order :(

Might be a while before I get back to you all!

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Any head-to-head test w/ATI 6450 out there?

I found this, ZOTAC GeForce GT 520 1 GB Review - Page 1/27 | techPowerUp not exactly a head to head but there is a comparison.

From what I've read they perform very similarly. I chose the nVidia card over the 6450 as I still can't quite bring myself to buy an AMD graphics card. Too many bad memories from the ATI days with the drivers, which by the sound of things still live on in the HTPC world. That's not to say I've never had problems with nVidia's drivers, I have, but only on very, very few occasions.

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Well the GT520 seems to be coping well with 1080i here no probs. Using DXVA on Windows 7 with latest drivers and Microsoft DTV DXVA decoder. Had to go with the passive Gainward version too as the Asus was unavailable, which may have been a blessing in disguise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom