GUIDE: Configuring HuluDesktop on MediaPortal 1.1.x with StreamedMP (1 Viewer)

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I spent a significant amount of time researching and experimenting to actually get this right and was unable to find any type of "Dummies" guide for making this work correctly (keep focus, actually launch the app, show up in the menu, etc.) So I wrote up the following "How-To" in hopes that someone else will find this useful and it will save them the many hours I spent figuring all this out...

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    MediaPortal 1.1.x w/ StreamedMP 1.4.3
    MultiShortcut 2.3 (I used the rar file and manually installed as I could not get the new installer to create a DLL that would launch ANY program correctly on my system. YMMV)

1. If you had a previous version of MultiShortcut installed, check the "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal" directory for MultiShortcut.xml and Multishortcut.xml.bak. DELETE THEM!

2. Extract MultiShortcut_V2.3.rar

3. Copy the contents of the mediaportal directory to your MediaPortal directory ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal"

4. Copy the contents of the language directory to the MediaPortal language directory ex: "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\language"

5. Navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\Windows" directory and rename MultiShortcut00.dll to HuluDesktop.dll.

6. Double click the dllfix.exe. A DOS box will appear. When prompted, press enter to close.

(* All of the above is in the document included in the archive but just in case you forget to RTFM...)

7. Launch your MediaPortal Configuration, navigate to the Plug-Ins section and you will see a plug-in labeled HuluDesktop. Right-click on it and choose Configuration.

8. Make note of the Plugin ID. (This number is randomly generated and, in theory, you can change it but I haven't had good luck doing it.)

9. Configure the other options as follows, leaving the rest of the settings as the default. (And replacing your_user_directory with your windows user name.)
    Hide MP While Executing: True
    Restart MediaPortal: False
    Stop MediaPortal Player: True
    Start MediaPortal Player: False
    ButtonCaption: Hulu Desktop
    Menu hidden in MP: False
    Directory: C:\Users\your_user_directory\AppData\Local\HuluDesktop\
    Exefile: C:\Users\your_user_directory\AppData\Local\HuluDesktop\instances\0.9.14.1\HuluDesktop.exe

10. Press save to close the window

11. Click on General and make the following changes (if necessary).
    Keep MediaPortal always on top: Checked
    Hide taskbar in fullscreen mode: Checked
    12. Press OK to save and exit MediaPortal configuraton.

13. Navigate to your MediaPortal skin directory. ex: "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\StreamedMP"

14. Create a new XML file named HuluDesktop.xml with the following contents replacing my WindowID "6014" with the number recorded in step 9. Don't change anything else!!

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <window>
      <id>6014</id>
      <defaultcontrol>1</defaultcontrol>
      <allowoverlay>no</allowoverlay>
      <controls>
        <control>
          <description>hidden</description>
          <type>button</type>
          <visible>false</visible>
          <id>1</id>
        </control>
      </controls>
    </window>

That's it for MP! Now before launching MP to check things out, lets check out a couple little things in HuluDesktop.

1. Under preferences, make sure "Always on top" is checked.

2. Make sure the Hulu window is maximized before you exit as it will re-open as it was last closed.

Now launch MP and enjoy!

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country
    Re: GUIDE: Configuring HuluDesktop on MediaPortal 1.1.1 with StreamedMP

Revision Notes:
    11/23/10 - Found that certain pop-ups (ex: AVG Update reminder) could cause MP to lose focus.
    * Changed Hide MP while executing to TRUE
    * Keep MP Always on Top to TRUE

11/27/10 - Added note to check HD "Always on top"

12/9/10 - Changed title/references to MP 1.1.1 to 1.1.x (tested and working on 1.1.2)

DGalt

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2010

I don't have the language folder or the skin folder in my MediaPortal folder (version 1.1.1)

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country

I don't have the language folder or the skin folder in my MediaPortal folder (version 1.1.1)

Which version of windows are you using and is it 32 or 64 bit?

DGalt

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2010

64 bit

I'm assuming I was looking in the wrong place (someone pointed out that I probably wasn't looking in programdata, which is true...I can't read apparently lol)

Not sure why a global searcg didn't return the files, though, if they are there

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country

It's probably because ProgramData is a hidden folder. If you show hidden files & folders, you should find it without any problem.

DGalt

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2010

I actually did try to show hidden files, but you might be right. I'm away for the holiday so I can't check right now

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country

Hmmm...interesting. They have to be there or MP wouldn't work! LOL
    When you get home, check that hidden files & folders are shown. Also try copying the link below and pasting it directly into the address bar in an explorer window. It should take you there directly and you should see the \skin and \language directories there...

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\

Wolen

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2008
    Home Country

I created the HuluDesktop.xml file, yet when I select Hulu, the screen would go blank and then back to the menu, and then Hulu starts up. Is there anyway that it can stay on the HuluDesktop.xml screen so when I exit Hulu I have to hit back on the remote to go back to the main menu? I'm using StreamMP skin.

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country

Please double check the settings in step 9 & 11.

Then, try loading HD manually (outside of MP) and selecting "always on top" under preferences. Make sure HD is maximized when you exit then go back into MP and see how it acts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom