Guide: Convert HDTV H264 TS Files to MKV (1 Viewer)

Terra

Portal Pro
August 25, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi guys,

Yesterday I tried to convert and compress some HDTV recordings of MediaPortal in a MKV container. I stumpled accross various problems and couldn't find a guide that covers that conversion because most guides only cover the conversion of HDTV Transport Streams with MPEG content.

I decided to create a guide and share the process I used to convert those files. I only used the freeware utility MeGUI. Maybe this guide helps some people.

Convert HDTV H264 Transport Stream (TS) to H264 in MKV

Terra

son_t

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just what I needed...

What I also need is... software or methods to edit (out adverts, or trim ends of) such recordings before or after processing... any ideas?

son_t

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Looks like I replied too soon...

I am trying this out and have gotten stuck at the first step. MeGUI is just not doing anything when running the HD stream extractor when the extract as MKV option for the video. (If I select H264 extraction is fast and successful.)

What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT: Got it working now. I needed to install the Haali Media Splitter (see here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1413520#post1413520)

Ventry

Portal Pro
August 19, 2009
Home Country
Australia Australia
I use Handbrake.
HandBrake
It works great for converting .ts to .mkv
It even handles DTS and AC3 audio streams.

Cheers
Ventry

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey,

Has anyone actually got this to work auto-magiclly on .TS files? Or can I get tvserver 1.2 to save direct to mkv yet???

:D

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Andy,

I haven't used MeGUI software, but there are two other pieces of software that "should" be able to do this. I have had a play with both with mixed results.

They are :-

MCE Buddy - see HERE
    MC-Tv Converter - see HERE

What I cannot do is to get both pieces of software to start automatically and then monitor my "recorded TV" folder for new stuff. Whilst I can get them to start automatically by placing into the start up folder in Win7; but I have to then manually set the recording folder that the software then monitors - great if your HTPC is on 24/7 - mine isn't. I wanted the process to work automatically when the HTPC wasn't doing anything i.e. record tv show > after midnight convert new show(s) > stop working at 6.30am... and then start again next night. You can set timers in both bits of software to do this.

They do convert .ts to .mkv or .mp4 - but you will have to manually point it to the folder you want monitoring at start up :(

HTH,

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom