Guide me to my perfect system (TV, speakers, PC) (1 Viewer)

sweden

Portal Member
January 20, 2006
Background
I have used the excellent MP for about two years and I am now getting ready to buy/install my perfect system. However, I will be moving soon so I will not buy it just yet. As I know little about hardware I thought I would ask you experts now so that I can start studying and planning the setup. For now I need, a TV, a computer, and speakers.

My current system is very basic. Some cheap Logitech 5.1 speakers, external Creative soundcard, and a Thinkpad with S-Video to the TV… this will be moved to the bedroom to make way for better stuff in the living and work room.

What I will use the new computer for
•Run MP in on living room TV and stream to a client in the bedroom
•Use emulators (through MP) using wireless Rumble pads in the living room
•Occasionally play games (haven’t played in years I want to try the new games!)
•In the future run blue-ray
•Perhaps run as a FTP and web server (only for personal use)

About my ideal setup
•I do not want a computer in the living room, there I only want a TV, speakers, keyboard and game pads. The PC should be placed in a work room where it will also be connected to a monitor. My plans are to run a USB cable and video cable through the wall from the work room to the living room
•I want to run a client (wireless) from the bedroom where I will have a laptop connected to a TV

Limits
I have a girlfriend that enjoys eating out and travelling and she does not prioritize spending all money on this system. Nevertheless, I promised her a dishwashing machine in exchange for a decent setup…

•TV –max 1500 euros (min. 42”)
•PC –max 1500 euros
•Speakers –max 350 euros

I would prefer something cheaper though…

Questions:
1. Should I buy a preconfigured computer (ie DELL XP 420) or build one myself for the very first time?
2. What min. hardware do I need (processor, video card, sound card etc.)
3. Should I go for 1080 or is 720 enough? Plasma or LCD? (I know about all the info on the web, but if possible just quickly give me your ideas and experiences)
4. What is better for connecting the PC with the TV, DVI cable or HDMI? What’s the maximum length of the cable without loosing quality?
5. Should I go for computer speakers (thinking to Logitech Z-5500) or for a home cinema system (such as Sony HT-DDW990 etc.) which would mean the amp would have to be placed in the work room?
6. Can I have two keyboards connected to the computer? One in the living room for MP and one in the workroom for “daily uses”

Any suggestions or ideas I have not thought about would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
1) I'd build myself (its FUN and less expencive) but that all depends if you can do it and have the time...

2) If you want HD, I'd go for
- passive Ati HDxxxx series card (these are looking good http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2479&Itemid=2)
- dual core processor
- motherboard with SPIDF-out and firewire
- 2GB DDR2memory.
Then add some silent casefans, a 500GB HDD (or more??) and a nice looking case.

3) Well that is really personal, you say min 42" so the I would say plasma...
Also at that size id go 1080P (also since you are going for Blue-Ray)

4) Well They are both digital, but HDMI supports audio too, so since you are still buying id go for HDMI-HDMI...

5) imo your budget for audio is way onder par...
I would spend alot less on the PC (maybe 800) and invest in some nice speakers and a good AMP (say around 1100).
At a budget of 3400 euro i'd want to invest more in sound (especially if you are planning to go HD...)

6) sure....

The Sony HT-DDW990 fits better in a total budget of 1200 I think.
My opinion is that at least 30% of the budget for a HT system should be audio....

Also how would you controll the Amp if you place it in a different room???

sweden

Portal Member
January 20, 2006
Thank you for your prompt reply. In regards to your comments:

1. I have the time and I believe I am good enough with my hands to do it. Problem is I know nothing about hardware. There is so much to choose from and each part has to work with another part etc. I am worried that I will end up with parts that are not compatible!?

2. I checked the ATI site. "Built-in support for six channel (5.1) Dolby Digital surround audio transmission through HDMI." Does this mean there is no need for a sound card? (as stated before, don't know much about hardware...)

At least 500GB HDD. Fans do not need to be silent, computer will be in another room. Case can be horrible (and cheap) as it will be in another room.

3. I guess I should get 1080P while Im at it.

4. Any ideas how long these cables can be without loosing quality?

5. I guess you are right but I've read some outstanding reviews on the Z-5500 speakers. Also, with those speakers I don't have to worry about an amp which is a big plus.

Yes, having the amp in a different room complicates things... The TV will hang on the wall, so I really do not want an amp in the living room. But I guess it shouldn´t be too hard to send the IR through a cable and through the wall?

As to spending more on audio perhaps I should, but when will I use it? Having a few thousand watts in the living room will blast a whole through the floor down to the neighbor! Will I, a happy amateur, notice the difference between 500W or 1500W?

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hey
1) go for it is mutch more fun when you are finished! just do some good online reading before you buy stuff.

2) yes, but if you want 5.1 via HDMI then you automaticly need a AV receiver that can handle HDMI...
That is a good thing, but these are not the cheapest to buy.
But I would advist a HDMI AV receiver....

3) Yup best thing... I just love my 40"FullHD LCD!

4) umm not really but pretty long.. as long as you use good cables, say 5% of the total budget on cables (audio and video)

5) Money for audio isnt just power... its quality! I'd really go for an AMP + HiFi Speakers....
But your choice of course...

sweden

Portal Member
January 20, 2006
alright, so i'll build my own one. do you have any good links so I can start studying? have a lot to learn...

i think you have convinced me to by buy an external amp. now I just need to figure out how to send the IR signals to the other room.

sweden

Portal Member
January 20, 2006
checked out the link and it was a good read! although i am now more confused than ever ;) too much to choose from.

regarding the 1500 eur max for the computer was actually meant as computer and a 22" or 24" monitor included. not only a computer for 1500 euro!!!!

seems as if its good to wait a bit. a lot of mother boards coming out with hdmi. also, if the new ATI video cards have 5.1 surround sound built into them (HDMI), then it should not be necessary to buy a sound card nor a motherboard with SPIDF-out? and what does passive mean...

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
July 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
hi,

i dont know if you have thought your pc concept through. the first thing is that most wireless controllers dont have that much range especially if you are putting a wll between reciever and the controller. the same goes for the keyboard and mouse. for the tv you would need an extra long dvi or hdmi cable. an analog vga cable is out of the question due to the seriously compromised signal quality you get by using an extra long cable. blue ray and other protected media wont work without using an dvi or hdmi cable either. those long hdmi cables arent cheap either. last time i checked with my local pc shop a 5m dvi cable was about 80euro (germany). s instead of spending about 100euro for cables you could buy a better pc case with adequate fans. plus you wouldnt have to go to the next room to put in a dvd. there are many reasonably priced fairly and good looking cases out there (would recommend something shaped like a dvd player or reciever). tomorrow i can give you a detailed recommendation for your unhearable aircooled pc (okay if you put your ear about 10cm next to a fan you will hear a quiet humm). i can understand your wish that you dont want a a noisy pc standing around your living room. i myself have my gaming machine watercooled so i know what im talking about.

but for the rest of the day i will do my test to advance in my studies of the fine arts of engeneering and will celebrate my birthday thus i will lead a more hedonistic lifestyle for the rest of the day and dont have time to plan a pc from screw to fan.

greetings fabian

ps: but tomorrow i will look something up. even if you dont want a pc in your livingroom i think my recommendation will make you think twice. at least it will be very helpful either way and much cheaper than 1000euro

sweden

Portal Member
January 20, 2006
thanks for your reply fabian and i hope you enjoyed your birthday and the hedonistic lifestyle ;)

it is not because of the noise i do not want a computer in the living room, i just want a tv hanging on the wall with no more hardware other than the speakers. one can check emails in the subway, check position on a map on the phone etc. so why should i then need two big boxes (pc and amp) in the living room to enjoy some home entertainment? i am against cables and other clutter, i want as few devices as possible in the area where i normally treat my guests!

as to the wall between the receiver and the controllers my plan is to run a hole throught the wall and let the cables go through there and then hide the receptors behind the tv. and my plan is to place the pc right on the otherside of the wall so cables should not be very long. is it possible to wake the computer up using a keyboard that is connected to the computer through a USB bluetooth dongle? if not i am in trouble... dont want to go to another room to turn the pc on (for inserting a dvd i don´t mind much).

my plan was to hook up a monitor to the pc so i could play games etc. but perhaps with a good video card i can do that on the tv instead? if that is the case i can simply take the money that i was going to spend on the monitor and invest in a powerful videocard. does it work well playing games on the tv in 1080 or on a TV in general?

please let me hear your recomendation and try to convince me! i have a lot to learn!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Please note that getting 1080p @ 50 Hz with ATi cards might be a real PITA, as there is no "force" for this in ATI's control panel. There are some 3.-party software that can help you, but a) it is not free, b) you have to know what you are doing, because c) it might harm your system.

Other than that, I think ATI's 3-series looks great. In any case, 3650 might be a better choice (I remember that 2400 was not as great as 2600 - this has been admitted by ATI, and might be resolved in the 3-series. (Which is merely the 2-series on 55 nm technology).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom