Gyration 4101us with VLC and WMP (1 Viewer)

almot0

July 22, 2010
Home Country
Canada Canada
Firstly, my apologies, I don't use MP. Tried it and couldn't see how it could make my life easier. It doesn't have a proprietary browser like Zinc TV, and for playing local files I can click on shortucts of "My Videos" or "My Music" on the desktop and play files via VLC or WMP software. May be this is because my HTPC is a separate computer, not used for anything but watching internet videos or local files, so my "home screen" is Windows desktop, blue background, with a couple of shortcut icons: "My Videos", "My Music", "My Pictures". OK, enough of criticism and excuses.

Many thanks to 3-year old thread at this forum - it helped me to learn how to use Eventghost to program GYR4101 remote: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/gyration-mce-remote-supported-29641/ (read from message #4).

I've posted a brief review of my experience with GYR4101 at another forum (more North-America oriented, which is where I am), so allow me just to post the link:
Best HTPC remote - again :) - Page 2 - AVS Forum

If anybody has a better experience with GYR4101 and VLC player, let me know.

Update:
I wrote in my mini-review that managed to map (assign) Short Backward Jump and Short Forward Jump to RW and FF buttons, respectively. I did and it worked, with and without Autorepeat Macro in Eventghost. Just hold the button and it jumps and jumps, rewinding the video. Alas, few hours later RW and FF buttons have revealed same stubborn behavior as Previous/Next buttons. Namely, it stopped supporting "enduring event" (continuous jumping until I release the button). Now it simply executes a single jump each time I press the button.

PS: Another reason for not using MP is that I don't have a TV tuner in my PC - for TV programs I use my TV set (GYR4101 allows TV control, or I can use a normal TV remote). I also don't record TV shows - have no cable programming, and Free to Air channels don't offer a material worth recording - not very often anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom