H264, VC1 Codecs HW or Software decoding (1 Viewer)

lithiumc

Portal Member
March 2, 2008
TV-Server Version: N/A
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Default wide
Windows Version: Windows Vista Ultimate
CPU Type: E6550
HDD: Segate 500GB 30MB CACHE
Memory: 4GB Vista Performance Platinum DDR2 6400
Motherboard: P5E-VM HDMI
Motherboard Chipset: G35
Motherboard Bios: Shipping
Video Card: OnBoard GMA X3500
Video Card Driver: Intel
Sound Card: Realtek 7.1
Sound Card AC3: Realtek 7.1
Sound Card Driver: ?
1. TV Card: N/A
1. TV Card Type:N/A
1. TV Card Driver: N/A
2. TV Card: N/A
2. TV Card Type:N/A
2. TV Card Driver: N/A
3. TV Card: N/A
3. TV Card Type:N/A
3. TV Card Driver:N/A
4. TV Card:N/A
4. TV Card Type:N/A
4. TV Card Driver: N/A
MPEG2 Video Codec: ?
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ?
Satelite/CableTV Provider:confused:HAW
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion V2
Cooling: Air
Power Supply:430 included in Antec Case
Remote: Harmony 550
TV: Toshiba 37HL57
TV - HTPC Connection:HDMI

I just built this system, everything is working bang on. The lcd on the case is good, and all my WMVs and MKVs play trouble free. I feel PQ is ok, but could be better. I was thinking of purchasing Nvidia 9600(or should I buy an ATI card?) to take advantage of the DXVA. I have read a lot of post so far on how to use the cyberlink drivers, but I am clueless. I was also wondering if DXVA was worth it, right now I am using the FFDSHOW filters and codec for my H264 and VC1 movies.

If I were to buy the card how exactly do I setup cyberlink codecs with mediaportal? How do I ensure my videos gets processed through the right codec that take advantage of the HW accelaeration? I have herd there are several filters(vob sub) that will turn the cyberlink hardware acceleration off. Anyhow any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love some input from the ppl using Hardware Acceleration to play back their H264. Also since most my files are X264 I am assuming they will be using the Hardware Acceleration.

Thanks.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Also since most my files are X264 I am assuming they will be using the Hardware Acceleration.

Thanks.

You can't generally say that, it requires pretty strict encoding options in x264 in order to be accelerated. Most of my files (like 90%) for instance can't be accelerated.

Honestly I'd say if you don't play alot of Bluray/HDVD stick to software codecs, it's alot less trouble and you can use postprocessing extensively. For your processor it should be a walk in the park to play those x264. If you think ffdshow uses too much cpu, you may also try coreavc, its quite a bit more resource friendly (and cheaper than a new gfx-card + power-dvd).

lithiumc

Portal Member
    March 2, 2008
    Inker thanks for the reply. Well I glad to hear i should stick on software decoding. You mention postprocessing I have turn some options on ffdshow to help a little but I am not sure if they are any good. I think I need some intensive deblocking for some high def tv show downloads, all the quality in my movies seem satisfactory to me, but TV epsiodes don't seem to do as good. Do you have any settings that you would be willing to recommend?

Thanks again.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Well, if you get blocking in youre files I think there's very little you can do, at least I haven't found anything yet (xvid you can deblock quite a bit, but x264 is inherently different in this regard apparently). Most of the 720p TV-stuff that is widely available is horrible to watch unfortunatly (bad encoding options and nowhere near enough bitrate).

With postprocessing I meant stuff like adding a bit of grain (IMO (in my opinion) makes a huuuge difference in perceived quality) or even sharpen it up a little (don't overdo it though, its a very fine line).

BTW, if you get interlaced content you can still have your gfx-card deinterlace it.

lithiumc

Portal Member
    March 2, 2008
    Sorry but this might sound dumb what is IMO? Oh and is there anything I can do about ghosting, although I think I might have to replace my tv to solve that problem.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    IMO: In my opinion
    Ghosting: For PAL: Use 50 Hz - NTSC: Use 60 Hz. In general: Use DXVA capable codecs, like Cyberlink

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom