[fixed] hard crash with NVidia decoder (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Using the new core.dll from sticky thread and fontengine.dll

just trying to trigger hard crashes but now I simply load an AVI file and there is a hard crash in the NVidia MPEG decoder As this is a hard crash I am guessing logs of are of little use but this is currently 100% reproducable for me

Ths is actualy an XVid AVI so would (should) not be using the Nvidia decoder anyway

edit: just noticed that the NVidia filter has been added as some post processing filter and obviously does not like it..
    Presumably with new way of connecting filter this will now always happen?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Please remove all postprocessing and report back if issue is fixed
    That is the thing, there is no post processing enabled in MP config. When building the graph it is adding the NVidia codec for MPEG2 material (as configured in MP config) but as the video is actually encoded with XVid it is also adding the XVid codec. With the new core.dll MP is then connecting the XVid codec to the the NVidia codec and then the renderer which is causing a hard crash.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    can you please post your MediaPortal.xml ?
    It is in the log zip in first post

:sorry:, I overlooked the zip.

<entry name="audiorenderer">ArcSoft Audio Renderer</entry>
    <entry name="mpeg2audiocodec">ffdshow Audio Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="mpeg2videocodec">NVIDIA Video Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="h264videocodec">CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x)</entry>
    <entry name="aacaudiocodec">ffdshow Audio Decoder</entry>

What happens is that specified codecs are added to the graph. Then if those won't work, filters merits are used.

Please try chancing the mpeg2videocodec to something else and post new logs.

Simone

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    What happens is that specified codecs are added to the graph. Then if those won't work, filters merits are used.

Please try chancing the mpeg2videocodec to something else and post new logs.
    The default graph as rendered by GraphStudio is
    XVid.JPG
    which is fine

I can manually build the graph MP does
    XVid2.JPG

and this crashes. This graph however will never get created outside of MP so the issue is how MP is building the graph.

I have tried a few other MPEG2 codecs. With MPC, and FFDShow it does not get attached. The Cyberlink codec connects where the NVidia one does but you get no picture and this basically locks up playback (in MP or Graphstudio).

I had to end task using Cyberlink as it just locked up MP so logs are not goint to be much use? and the other just show that
    the MPEG2 codecs are not conneted to graph

This scenario only happens in MP with the XVid codec and use of NVidia or Cyberlink MPEG2 codecs.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Please check the merit value for the Nvidia decoder. Sounds like Nvidia's MPEG2 (which has been deprecated already many years ago) is using high merit an incorrectly accepting the output type from the xvid decoder. Please check the xvid decoders output type and Nvidia's input type from the graphedit.

-Manfred-

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    This has been already fixed in SVN. Problem was that both MPEG and H264 filters were added to graph for .avi files as we do not know what is inside in container. Now we always add only one filter for all cases to prevent this. In this case we assume that .avi is not H264. Only exception is if post processing filters are defined. Then there is possibility of dead lock or even crash when bad combination of filters are in graph.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Please check the merit value for the Nvidia decoder. Sounds like Nvidia's MPEG2 (which has been deprecated already many years ago) is using high merit an incorrectly accepting the output type from the xvid decoder. Please check the xvid decoders output type and Nvidia's input type from the graphedit.
    The Nvidia codec might be deprecated but it is still the best MPEG2 one IMHO... Is this merit related? My understanding is that MP adds the filters to the graph and then connects them up on playback. For XVid there is no codec already on the graph so it adds the Codec and then trys to connect everything up. If the XVid and Nvidia codecs are already on the graph will it not connect them regardless of merit? Also the same issue happens with Cyberlink PowerDVD7 MPEG2 decoder.

Have not got access to the HTPC to check what type is coming out of the XVid filter but both Nvidia and Cyberlink codecs are willing to accept it. Will check later

This has been already fixed in SVN. Problem was that both MPEG and H264 filters were added to graph for .avi files as we do not know what is inside in container. Now we always add only one filter for all cases to prevent this. In this case we assume that .avi is not H264. Only exception is if post processing filters are defined. Then there is possibility of dead lock or even crash when bad combination of filters are in graph.
    Will this fix it? The point is the MPEG codec is not actually needed at all, only the XVid one which is not set in the MP config app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom