HARD DRIVE (1 Viewer)

speedypancake

Portal Member
January 3, 2006
I've enjoyed playing around with your media portal program since Christmas. I got a Hauppauge Nova-T card and an AC3 / 5.1 Creative Audigy sound card to go with my Comaq Presario Pentium 4, 2.66GHz 120GB Desktop.

I also invested in a lot of new cabling as I'm running everything off the PC in the dining room but watching on our widescreen TV in the living room. The S-Video output seems to be the best quality I can achieve and it looks acceptable if not brilliant. And I've fitted a TV signal distribution box / amp fitted in the loft.

I'm now considering a dedicated 500GB hard drive to store our videos / pics / mp3's etc. My question is (finally ;) would an external USB hard drive work well and would it be able to deliver movies etc at the required rate / performance etc.?

Cheers for any thoughts etc
Speedy

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    It would be fine for storage purposes, as they are approx 1/3 the speed of an internal hdd. You would still need an internal boot drive though as they wouldnt be able to handle that task. Also if you planned to record and watch a movie at the sametime, that *may* be a problem.

speedypancake

Portal Member
    January 3, 2006
    OK - that's fine, I'll be keeping the original internal 120GB drive for booting / programs etc. Still not sure if the external USB HD will let me "stream" movies etc direct, or if I'll have to pre-load them onto the internal drive first????
    Cheers

dpirs

Portal Member
    July 5, 2005
    I stream movies (normal DIVX files 1-2 CDs pro movie) over 100Mb LAN without problems. USB drive is (USB 2.0 of course) even faster so you shouldn't have any problems.

But I don't know how it works with HDTV and MPG2 (normal DVD) movies.

speedypancake

Portal Member
    January 3, 2006
    I stream movies (normal DIVX files 1-2 CDs pro movie) over 100Mb LAN without problems. USB drive is (USB 2.0 of course) even faster so you shouldn't have any problems.

But I don't know how it works with HDTV and MPG2 (normal DVD) movies.

Cool. I imagine I'll be storing most movie files as DIVX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom