HardDrive Speed for three recordings at the same Time (1 Viewer)

Meier

Portal Pro
November 1, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey everybody.

I am planning to by a new Hard Drive for my recordings and would like to know if a Hard Drive with 5400 U/Min is fast enough for 3 recordings at the same time or if a Hard Drive with 7200 is needed?

Thanks for your help :)

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: HardDrive Speed for three recordings at the same Time

Hi,

I have a Samsung 2TB HD203WI with 5400U/min in my server and can record 4 channels in parallel and on top watch one of them live (extra timeshifting on the same HD!)
    All of this on a AMD E-350 system

regards

flintstone

Meier

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: HardDrive Speed for three recordings at the same Time

Perfect - thanks for the fast information :)

PS:
    My Server is also an AMD E-350 ;)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can confirm flintstone's answer.

I have a 1.5TB Western Digital AV-GP (which according to some reviews has quite a poor throughput compared to some other 5,400 rpm drives) and I have managed to record five five channels at the same time (one of which was HD) as well as playing back a recorded programme - I wasn't deliberately testing it, it was just christmas and loads of things were on all at the same time.

Due to the Density of these 5,400 rpm drives they act as fast (if not faster) as the 7,200 rpm drives of yesteryear.

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Remember that recorded digital TV is only in megabits, whereas your hard drive should be able to read and write many megabytes a second. I can easily record 10+ channels at once and play back at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom