Hardware req for server only: Thin client (1 Viewer)

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

I'm considering to buy a second-hand thin client as a small home server.
Thinking about a HP t5700.
Specs:
Windows Version: XPEmbedded, probably upgradable to SP2.
CPU Type: Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 1-GHz
HDD: 512 Mb Flash
Memory: 256 Mb
Video Card: ATI Rage XC 8MB
TV Card: Hauppauge PVR 500
TV Card Type: analog: Won't switch to HD TV in the foreseeable future.

My idea is to attach my PVR500 to the optional PCI unit and attach my disks to USB.

It's dedicated use would be:
Mediaportal TV Server
some miniscule web server (for personal remote file & mail access only)
File serving via windows file sharing.
Print server.

The last three tasks are manageble.
However, my main concern is whether TV server would be happy residing in this "beast". I found some reference here to someone who used a tin client as client, but for now not as TV server. Until now I'm on a "single seat" configuration, so I'm not sure what the requirements of the server alone are.
Anyone with experience on a dedicated TV server machine who can make an educated guess on it's minimal requirements and whether this will work out?
Thanks in advance. :D

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Onkl,
    as you can see in my signature I have gone down the road of minimum energy usage (7 - 25Watts CPU). I found the AMD processor after extensive searching and found that it is up for the task. The processor you have has lower specs, so performance should be lower although Mhz aren't always 'measured the same'. Im running with AMD powernow technology and my CPU (max 1,4 Ghz) is running at a constant 667 Mhz with a load of 30% for recording / timeshifting TV.
    So TV recording on both tuners (PVR500) and serving as a fileserver / webserver is doable but Channel changing times are not as fast as I would like them to be. I think this is also were the CPU power comes into play.
    I'm looking forward to your / other peoples experiences.
    kind regards,
    Ruud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom