Harmony Remote - Closing PowerDVD (1 Viewer)

Creamfilling

Portal Member
November 12, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So I have been setting up MediaPortal over the last few weeks to work in my Home Theater room and I believe I almost have it.

I am currently using Moving Pictures to watch my Blu-Ray movies. As you probably know, it does this by opening up an external program (in this case, PowerDVD 10) in order to watch the movies. (I chose this route so that I could have my full DVD Menus and special features)

I have my Harmony setup with a MCE receiver and for the most part it all works great. The one main thing that I can not figure out how to do is how to close PowerDVD via my Harmony. I would really like to figure this out so that this keyboard and mouse I have sitting here can go into a drawer somewhere.

So, does anyone know of I way that I can get my Harmony to close PowerDVD10 with a control?

Thank You

Creamfilling

Portal Member
November 12, 2010
Home Country
No one responsed but I happened to find the answer in case it helps someone else in the future.

The problem was that I setup the Harmony to use Microsoft Media Center, but I should have set it up to use Microsoft Media Center SE.

This adds the commands like Alt-F4 which you need to close out programs/windows.

Once I did that and assigned it to my exit button, all was well.

Ragametal

August 14, 2012
Home Country
@ Creamfilling
I'm planning to set up my new htpc the same way you did but i'm somehow concerned about the integration between poweDVD and mediaportal and i was hoping you could provide clarification to some of my questions.

1. When moving pictures request the opening of powerdvd, does it closes mediaportal or does it hides it?
  2. Does powerdvd plays the movie right away or does the user needs to navigate thru the powerdvd gui in order to play the movie?
  3. When you close powerdvd (by using the alt+F4 thru the remote), does it opens mediaportal automatically or do you have to manually open it?
  4. Lastly, i know that when you install powerdvd, it's codecs becomes available in the mediaportal settup for playing the video files. Is this true or do i need to install additional codecs in order to play my videos (i have a E350 and i really need DXVA).
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Creamfilling

Portal Member
November 12, 2010
Home Country
I have only good answers for you!

When you start a movie it will only hide Mediaportal, then immediately load up the image (I use iso images so that I can have all menus, etc on my blu-rays) and the movie. When you exit the movie/powerdvd it will then automatically re-show Mediaportal and you will be right back where you were.

It works great!

Btw, I did not have to load any extra drivers

Ragametal

August 14, 2012
Home Country
Great,
Althought i've been reading about the bluray handler pluginn and the integration of native bluray player in MP 1.3 which makes me wonder if i should invest the money in a license of powerdvd or not. Cyberlink have the tendency of being very unresponsive whenever the end user requires support for a software that they paid for not to mention that the license only gets supported for two years, which means that after that you are on your own.

With that being said, i rather get some support by using open source software than no support for a software, than on top of everything, i need to pay for.

I would appreciate your input on this matter as i'm just trying to find a solution that makes sense but that it also works the way it's supposed to. Meaning that if i need to buy powerdvd in order to play bluray movies, i will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom