Hauppauge-Fix (high-band does not work) (2 Viewers)

GregorV

Portal Pro
October 2, 2007
Bonn
Home Country
Germany Germany
If you should have the following problem with a Hauppauge card e.g. NOVA-S-PLUS or NOVA-2S-HD:

Scanning or tuning does only work for low-band channels (only a few German stations found).
High-Band channels only work after several restarts of TVService or after a slight change of LNB settings (e.g. change LNB Switch Frequency to 11701 or back to 11700 (The reinitialization trick).

The problem mostly was seen when using LNBs with a built-in switch.

Then the below patch may help, please report success or fail.
Code:
public void SendDiseqCommand(ScanParameters parameters, DVBSChannel channel)
    {
      if (_isHauppauge == false) return;
      bool hiBand = BandTypeConverter.IsHiBand(channel, parameters);
      int antennaNr = BandTypeConverter.GetAntennaNr(channel);
      if (antennaNr == 0) return;
For any reason the function SendDiseqCommand disrupts the Hauppauge drivers so that the 22KHz signal apparently is no longer sent to the LNB for switching on high-band. The patch makes the function return without doing anything if the DisEqC is 'none'.
If you are interested in details, check the other threads in this forum.

Note: This patch will only work for stations for which DisEqC is set to 'none'

Hint: If it does not work immediately you may have already tried with the unpatched release. Doing so may leave the Hauppauge drivers in a not working state. To fix that you can either reboot the PC or use TransEdit an scan any high band Transponder (e.g.Pro7). This will bring the drivers back to a working mode.

Have fun and don't forget to post your results - so the patch can make it into the official release.
Attached the patch for the latest svns

Gregor

GregorV

Portal Pro
October 2, 2007
Bonn
Home Country
Germany Germany
Good news.
Hope it has no negative side effect for other users.

Apparently there is a similar issue with Terratec cards. I don't have such card and from the code I assume it is recognized as a Generic BDA card. I am in contact with two users who can do some testing but I first wait for their logs.

Gregor

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
October 10, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
TvService not recognized

If you should have the following problem with a Hauppauge card e.g. NOVA-S-PLUS or NOVA-2S-HD:

Scanning or tuning does only work for low-band channels (only a few German stations found).
High-Band channels only work after several restarts of TVService or after a slight change of LNB settings (e.g. change LNB Switch Frequency to 11701 or back to 11700 (The reinitialization trick).

The problem mostly was seen when using LNBs with a built-in switch.

Then the below patch may help, please report success or fail.
Code:
public void SendDiseqCommand(ScanParameters parameters, DVBSChannel channel)
    {
      if (_isHauppauge == false) return;
      bool hiBand = BandTypeConverter.IsHiBand(channel, parameters);
      int antennaNr = BandTypeConverter.GetAntennaNr(channel);
      if (antennaNr == 0) return;
Gregor

Hi,

I do have exactly this problem, however, with an external switch.

I tried to replace the Tvlibrary.dll (tested all 3 versions), but when I replace it, the Tvservice is not recognized by TvServer any more. In the Taskmanager, I see that it is started, but the Tvservice does not start.

Just too stupid? Do I have to do any other thing than to replace the Tvlibrary.dll? I thougt, the code you are displaying is included in the library. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Alfred

GregorV

Portal Pro
October 2, 2007
Bonn
Home Country
Germany Germany
more details needed

Hi Alfred,

which Mediaportal release do you have installed ?
The TVLibrary.dll files are built for Version 1 . RC2, and the revision shown in the file name.
Later releases of TVServer svns already include the change.

I suggest you run an older release ?

Gregor

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
October 10, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
More information....

Hi Gregor,

thanks for the fast answer. Sorry, I forgot to activate "show system" in my profile.

Before I used the original version 1 RC2; until today I did not know how to download the releases.

Now I found the SVNs, and I tried with 2 versions: SVN 20143 together with your library V20143 and SVN 20372 without any change in the library.
Result: The mistake with "Tvservice not recognized" disappeared, but the original mistake did not disapper with both versions.

Whenever I restart Tvservice, on many channels (for example ARD) I get the mistake "Unable to start graph", no matter if I try it from the client or directly within the server with "preview".

When I do a reinitialize (I do it by unchecking /checking "Override default LNB frequencies"), everything works fine. In fact I can live with that, but I am just wondering that I am the only one who has this problem; and I hoped with your fix it would work.

In the log file, I just see "Timedout waiting for PMT...". Increasing this value did not make a change (except longer waiting for the error ;)).

Any more ideas? Thanks!

Alfred

milagroso

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Alfred,

I suggest to start by the very beginnings - just as to look whether there's gas in the tank of the car...

Did You consider all the installation requirements like dvbfix, WMP11 and so on? In the wiki You'll find this information: GeneralRequirements - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation

Which Hauppauge drivers do You use? The latest version is 4.6b, however also the two or three previous ones seem to work quite fine.

I'm running currently on svn20010 with Gregor's tvlibrary.dll which for me renders best results.

hope this helps a bit - good luck

Thomas

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi milagroso,

yes, gas is full ;)

Hauppauge 4.6b, dbfix, WMP11, everything.....

Anyway, I think if the system would not meet the requirements, I would not be able to fix the problem with the "initialization workaround".

Thanks anyway.

Alfred

GregorV

Portal Pro
    October 2, 2007
    Bonn
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Alfred,

First you should check the LNB settings - it should be set to DisEqc = none, then check your channel settings. Go to TV Channels find e.g.ZDF and select Edit->DVB-s. Here you find the individual settings for a channel. Check here also that DisEqc is set to none, because it will override the general setting (that are more important for scanning).
    If that does not change things i suggest that there may be a driver issue on your machine. Please find and download Transedit which is a very good test tool for dvb-s cards. If it works with Transedit, then we need to continue searching in MP, if it does not work with Transedit, then download the latest drivers (UK site!! - I have 88x_2_122_26109_WHQL.zip running). Please install only drivers, not the hauppauge TV application.
    In case nothing works, stop TVServer, go to the logs directory, delete all logs. Then start TVServer, try to tune ZDF and attach the file TV.log. Probably it shows what went wrong.

Oh, I have seen from your logs that the DisEqc setting is SimpleA - so change it to none and the issue is gone.

Good luck
    Gregor

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Gregor, and thanks again!
    First you should check the LNB settings - it should be set to DisEqc = none, then check your channel settings. Go to TV Channels find e.g.ZDF and select Edit->DVB-s. Here you find the individual settings for a channel.
    DisEqc was on none in general and individual settings; the wrong setting in my log obviously just happened during a test.
    Please find and download Transedit which is a very good test tool for dvb-s cards.
    Downloaded it, everything works fine.
    I have 88x_2_122_26109_WHQL.zip running
    I am using exactly the same driver.

Now I changed to RC3; it still looks not like 100%, but much better. From time to times it happens on a restart of the server that ARD is not working (old fault "unable tostart graph"). But when I change (on the client) to ZDF, it works. Back to ARD, it works. So that is fine for me :), even if I do not understand why.

Thanks a lot! :D:D Alfred

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom