Hauppauge HVR-1250 (1 Viewer)

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well, I had seen several posts around the forums about having trouble getting this hybrid tuner to work with QAM. The most notable problems mentioned were:
1) TV Server sees the card as a Hauppauge 885 instead of 1250
1) scanning QAM channels wasn't picking up stations
2) bad quality on analog channels, since it's a software encoder rather than hardware

But I made the plunge anyway and bought this card because it's cheap, and I don't really NEED digital channels at the moment. But I DID want some experience working with QAM setup, guide information, etc so I could help out some of the U.S. users.

I'll just update this thread as I experiment this week. Maybe I'll eventually get things working, maybe I won't. I am just curious how far I can get. Maybe it'll be useful to someone else either way. Think of this as a blog more than a post for questions or answers.

Day 1 (Monday):
Card is installed in my dedicated TV/file server. Windows (Server 2k3 x64) detected the new hardware, and I pointed it the the driver folder on the install CD. (Version 3.1H) Windows found a suitable driver and installed. Device manager now lists the 1250. Shows as "Hauppauge WintTV HVR-1250 (Model 79xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM)". Driver date 9/28/2007, version 1.25.25271.0.

Open up TV Server config. Stop and start the service to re-detect cards. There it is it is indeed listed as a model 885 tuner card. Not sure if this is a problem, though. I did try another driver from the CD that Windows also listed as an option, but it still displays as an 885. (Note: I stopped the TVServer process, deleted the 885 in TV Server via SQL, then I changed the driver, then I started the service again.) I will accept this as "normal" and see what happens.

I set the 1250 up as a hybrid tuner, according to the wiki article so TV Server knows it's a hybrid, and only one of the two tuners can be used at a time. (Select the analog and digital tuners, right click, create group.)

Moving on to scanning. I am out of my league with regards to QAM, so I make it up as I go. I check the QAM box (obvious). But I have 5 options for frequency types.
  • QAM HRC + 3
  • QAM HRC
  • QAM IRC
  • QAM Standard
  • QAM Std Alternative

No clue, but "qam standard" seems like a good one to start with. I use Charter Communications, Buffalo, MN; analog + digital. At least the locals are broadcast in Clear QAM, since a cable plugged directly into my TV finds some channels.

Start the channel scan. It's slow, and I am a little worried that it isn't finding channels right away, since I have 2.2, 5.1, 5.1, 9.1. But those channels aren't found. Let it finish scanning anyways.

Wow - it found over 100 channels. Interestingly, the channels it found don't line up with the channels the TV has. For example, the TV has 2.2 for public television. On the tuner card it's somewhere in the 90's. Only a couple of channels have actual names, and those Tv Server has marked as encrypted (but probably shouldn't be since they're named as the locals). Near as I can tell, I have to look at the channels one at a time, figure out what channel I am looking at, and rename. Daunting, but doable.

But what's this? On many of the channels, Preview gives me "ChannelIsEncrypted". Which is expected - they're the digital channels I would need a set top box for. Too bad they were detected. If those could be easily filtered, I would have far fewer channels to look through.

On some of the remaining channels, the very act of previewing them crashes the Tv Server config program. No error - it just disappears. And config doesn't save the channels I had unselected. So I re-do and save frequently.

When I called it quits for day 1, I have looked thought about 2/3 of the digital channels found and unchecked the channels that were encrypted. Some of the channels that worked I have re-named for my use.

Plans for Day 2, maybe into day 3, include: previewing the rest of the channels and getting rid of the ones that can't be displayed, re-scanning with the other frequency types, and trying to definitively identify what channels I am actually receiving.

Plans for later days include verifying that channels don't move around (exporting channels, re-scan, and see if any new channels are found or previously identified channels have shifted) and getting Schedules Direct guide data to work with this.

Day 2 (Tuesday):
Not much time to work on it today. But I did manage to get through the rest of the channels to preview, so I think I managed to unselect all the ones that were encrypted. The rest I have identified, and definitely got all the local clear QAM locals. Which is all I really need.

A couple of observations, though.

1) the Preview button continues to crash Tv Server config. Not the service, just the config program. No good pattern - sometimes a given channel will crash, sometimes it won't. It's hard to tell for sure, because sometimes when I select channel 'A' and it crashes, I restart config and preview channel 'B'. But it actually shows me 'A'. So I ended up having to stop and restart the service to clear it out during my manual channel identification. Slowed it down even more.

I actually found it far quicker to just run the MP client, select an unknown channel from the guide, and either get "no audio/video" meaning it was encrypted or not broadcasting, or get a picture. I could then flip through the digital channels on the TV to match them up. Worked much better that way. (I was on a bad wireless connection - next time I'll do this over wired to make it easier.)

2) I just noticed that a bunch of channels were also added to the Radio channel list. So I need to review those, as well. The TV channels included ~40 music channels (music plus a mostly static "slide show" and trivia), so I am curious what was identified as Radio. I am also curious if I can move the music TV channels onto the radio channel list. Just another thing to mess with.

Oh, and thanks for the insight, x4mer. I had noticed that on 1 or two channels that there was a major/minor, but I'll take a look for the rest. Mike make my life easier to jump into SQL Server to fix a few things up to my liking.

Day 3 (Wednesday):
Long day at work, so didn't spend more than 10 minutes looking at this. But I did learn two things.

1) Last week, I had set the RTSP = no option in my MediaPortal.xml file. This is needed to let comskip data be used to automatically skip commercial segments identified in a comskip file. I did this on three boxes, but the fourth (a laptop) I had not set it on. This was the one I tested on Tuesday where things worked, but poorly over wireless. last night, on a wired computer, I couldn't get any digital channels to tune. Always got "no audio/video". After I removed the rtsp=no option, it started working. So apparently, I can either stream digital video, OR skip commercials. I am going with digital video.

2) Looking in to x4mer's advice. Major/minor doesn't seem to be used in my market. I have no idea where the information is at, but major/minor was set to 0 for almost all channels. Even the ones that were obviously re-mapped. E.g. MP found a channel on physical channel 94 (TBSHD). My tv's digital tuner sees this channel at 94.1. But major/minor in MP says 0,0 for major, minor.

There were a FEW channels that had major/minor, but not many. I will continue to investigate this, and expect to have more time this weekend to really figure it out.

Current status: most digital channels I have manually identified, and they are in the channel list. I can tune the channels in no problem from the client, and the picture is very nice compared to analog. I still have no guide data (haven't even started on that front yet). But, the picture is a bit jerky on panning scenes. This was on my HD television that has a mac mini for a htpc, so it may not have the horsepower. I will try on a beefier computer to see if that's the reason. Or does that Tv Server specs matter here? I am using server-class hardware with just onboard video. (search the forum for "milhouse media server" for the exact hardware.) Do I need a good video card there, or just for the client? Not sure how to troubleshoott he jerkiness yet, but I think I will go for functionality first (e.g. guide data) and tweaking later.

Day 4 (Thursday):
Very little time to play again. I am reasonably confident that the HVR-1250 iteslf works fine with MP for digital channels. It seems to work with analog channels, too, though like others have noted, it is relatively poor quality because it's software encoding.

I did make another pass through the channels via the client. I get two different messages when a channel can't display. Error 1 is "channel is encrypted", which i take at face value - I can't see those without a STB. Error 2 is slower to display, and says "can't build graph". My current assumption is that these are "real" channels that just don't have any content at the moment. For example, I have noticed that with my TV's digital tuner, I have channels at 117.x and 118.x that seem to be PPV (based on occassion rewinds). I suspect that some of these channels were not broadcast yesterday because no one had purchased anything. So I left them in the guide list, and just removed the scrambled.

Another thing I did yesterday was to edit my Schedules Direct lineup. I added the digital cable lineup, and the plugin added the channels to the guide (or at least most of them - TBSHD and another channeldidn't get added for some reason). However, it added them as analog channels with a channel like 383. So it would work with a IR blaster and STB. I need to figure out how to point the guide information from schedules direct to the digital channels. Not trivial, I suspect.

I did do a couple of short records on the digital channels to make sure they were HD and not just standard digital broadcast. Sure enough, I have some 720 recordings and some 1080 recordings. Good news! I also verified that the stutter I saw the other day was on the 1080 channels. I think the Mac Mini does 720 fine, but struggles with 1080. My desktop (using on-board graphics) also struggles a bit. I might have to get some new video cards. Not sure what to do with the Mac Mini - might have to connect it to the CRT in the living room, and move the living room HTPC to the bedroom with the 1080p LCD. Not thrilled with the prospect...

Finally, just before I went to bed I started another scan using QAM Standard. Not sure how often those change, but this is my last scan on Standard. I will do additional scans this weekend using QAM Std Alternative, QAM IRC, QAM HRM, and QAM HRM + 3 just to see what happens.

Overall, I feel good about the progress and confident that I can get it all working to my liking.

To do:
-Additional channel scans as noted above
-Getting the guide data to work
-Cleaning up the channel list (e.g. I may remove the analog channels where I have a digital equivalent)
-Getting a better understanding of the relationship between channel scan data in MP and the TV's digital tuner (if any sense at all can be made)
-Figuring out how to configure MP and the channel information to actual directly select channels in MP (e.g. how do I type in 94.1 to get to TBS). If I replace the analog with their digital equivalent, this problem will go away. for example, TBS is at 15. TBSHD is at 94.1. I may just remove TBS, and make TBSHD "look like" 15. But I still want to figure out how I could do this.
-Changing recordings to hit the better quality digital channels
-Building a "how to" document for other MP QAM users

Day 5 (Saturday):
With a little luck, I'll finish the work today and get it working to my liking.

Channel scans:
QAM HRC: nothing found
QAM HRC+3: nothing foung
QAM IRC: found some channels, but seems to have re-discovered some channels already identified, so they end up in the list twice (and I have to clean up additional channels)
QAM Std Alternative: Same story - seems to be duplicates

Conclusion: If you first scan of QAM Standard seems to find all the channels you are expecting, stop there.

Most of today went toward trying to scan for and identify that last few channels I am missing. These actually seem to be pay-per-view channels, so no guide data and only worth watch if I get really lucky and turn one at while it is broadcasting, and it happens to be near the start. Still, I am trying to get the TV to match MP, so this is just completeness. Check to see if any PPV channels are broadcasting that I haven't found yet, scan, then open up the channels one-by-one in MP to see if I get a match.

I was able to speed up the process a bit once I realized that I got two different messages when tuner a channel from the guide. If the channel was scrambled, it's scrambled and I won't get it. If I get the "can't build graph", then it's a channel that is there, but isn't broadcasting at the moment. So I'd rename it to "something1", "something2", etc. Then I could check those un-identified channel when I saw another channel broadcasting. It worked.

Getting EPG information was easier than I expected for the digital channels (not PPV, of course). This is using Schedules Direct - not sure how I'd do it if I was getting EPG data elsewhere.
1) Add a new Schedules Direct lineup for the digital channels, and select the digital channels I am receiving in the clear. Let the EPG guide data download in MP - this will add the new channels, if I have the option set in the SD plugin.

Now, in MP, I've got channels that look like "781 KAREDT" that came from Schedules Direct. The channel number is for a digital tuner. I have a corresponding channel from the channel scan in TV Server that I manually identified and renamed, like "11.1 KARE HD".

2) Open up SQL Server. Cut the externalId field data from channel "781 KAREDT" - like 11867.15.schedulesdirect.org - and paste it to the "11.1 KAREHD" record. Repeat for all manually identified channels.

3) Go ahead and delete the SD-added digital channels, leaving your modified channels from the initial scan. Let the guide data download again. You should now have guide data for the digital channels!

The other thing I did today was clean up the Radio channels picked up in the scan. Every one I tried came back "scrambled", so I just deleted them all. However, I also wanted to try to move the Music Choice channels (see day 1) to Radio. So for every music channels I had identified above, and which were in the TV channels section, I went to SQL Server and changed IsRadio to True (from false) and IsTv to False from true. It worked.

Now I can go into Radio, and see the Music Choice channels. They don't work consistently across channels, but do work. They are slow to start after selecting. Some display song information. Some display that static page (e.g. trivia information) I mentioned above.

All in all, I think I am done.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The channels are 'wrong' after your scan, because MP currently 'ignores' the PSIP data in the stream for remapping channels. I just got an Hauppauge 2250 over the holidays, & am using it for OTA ATSC. On my scan, every channel shows up as it's broadcast frequency, instead of it's PSIP remap like they do on my digital tuner TVs.

Go to the channels list in TV server config & right click a channel & chose edit. Go to the ATSC/QAM tab(mine says ATSC - don't know if it switches to QAM on QAM setups), & look at the Major/Minor fields. These fields should display the PSIP remap values, & should correspond to what your TV displays the channel as. You said only some channels showed a name. These channels must be sending PSIP data - check them if the others don't have the Major/Minor fields populated. For me, only channels that don't remap to their original NTSC channel number had the two fields blank. Almost all channels remap in the Toronto/Buffalo market.

Sadly, MP doesn't use these values for displaying or referencing the channels. I tried changing the channel field, to get it to display like everyone is used to in my home (from the TVs), but this causes the card to tune to the wrong frequency.

I wish MP would use the Major/Minor fields to store the tuning details used by the engine for ATSC/QAM, & store the PSIP data in the Channel/Freq fields. This would make the channels display in the guide, & be referenced (channel entry) according to what North Americans are used to in their TVs.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    PBS Rochester has 21.1 ,21.2, 21.3, 21.4
    So this is major.minor?
    So to change to a channel on your TV you'd go 211 or 212 or 213???

DMAN

milhouse

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2006
    Raleigh, NC U.S.
    Home Country

Well, my TV has an actual decimal button, so I'd actual do "21.1". MP, I think, doesn't support a "." in the channel number. And in my case, I have 5.1 and 5.2, but 51 and 52 are real (analog) channels, so I don't think just leaving out the decimal would work.

I don't have the answer - yet. I hope to become a QAM expert this weekend, so I'll be able to answer all things QAM. :cool:

Unfortunately they like to be proprietary and bend the standards.
    I've seen this pointed out many times in my research so far. The are required by law to provide the local signals unencrypted, but they are NOT required to make it easy. At this point, I am just hoping they don't randomly re-shuffle channels every week just to make it that much harder. :eek:

Milhouse

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    PBS Rochester has 21.1 ,21.2, 21.3, 21.4
    So this is major.minor?

DMAN
    Yes 21.X are Major.Minor. The station's original NTSC channel was 21, so PSIP is used to retain station branding even though the digital broadcasts are actually on frequency 16.X.

On my TVs, I would enter 21-1 etc, as there is a dash symbol at the bottom of the numpad just to the left of the zero. MCE remotes have an asterisk symbol in the same spot. My remote for my HP TV is not a learning remote, but it can be set to control other devices. I have it set for MCE when in DVR mode. I just checked using notepad to capture, & when I hit the * on the real MCE remote, or the - on my HP remote in MCE mode, both show up as '*' in notepad. It would seem the MCE * key can be used for direct ATSC/QAM channel entry if MP supported it.

There have been numerous PSIP problems with local channels over the last couple of years, but they're almost all ironed out now in this market anyways. Come next month, the USA will be shutting down analogue over-the-air broadcasting, & ATSC will be the broadcaster's only feed then. Any remaining PSIP issues would be quickly addressed after that point I would assume (hope).

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    milhouse Day3

I've never tried disabling the rtsp functionality, but if it does allow comskip use in a multi-seat I'll have to look in to it.

I would think that if rtsp is off, you would have to have your recording/timeshift folders in the TV server perferences set as UNC paths after having shared both folders. The SQL server would then pass a UNC path to the client, that would be available for the client directly. Otherwise the client wouldn't be able to find the files, since the server is no longer pushing them to it. Like I said, I've never tried it, so this may be wrong. Did you have it set like this on the server?

Dman's post with the wiki link, said that cable companies have other ways of doing the remap, so I guess they are doing that on your system. Over-the-air ATSC, PSIP is the only method.

milhouse

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2006
    Raleigh, NC U.S.
    Home Country
    Here's the rtsp thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-avoiding-rtsp-multiseat-mode-test-plz-36735/

Your assumption is exactly correct - if turning off rtsp, you have to share the root of the recording drive, and have to name the share as the drive letter. I am WAY out of my element here, and don't understand most of it. I just know that I set rtsp off, shared the D drive on the server as share name "D", turn on "automatically skip commercials" in the client config, and things just worked.

I did find a bit more stutter with rtsp off, though, as did some others if you look through the thread I just linked. I don't have a good enough understanding technically to know WHY I would want to turn off rtsp - just that comskip needed it set that way.

Milhouse

milhouse

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2006
    Raleigh, NC U.S.
    Home Country
    FYI, I have everything set up just how I want it. Or at least close.

Conclusions:
    1) The HVR-1250 works great for digital channels.
    2) The HVR-1250 is currently NOT working for analog channels - not sure why. I just get "unable to start timeshift, unknown error occurred". I thought it was working earlier this week, but not sure. 2 other analog cards, so it's possible it never worked. Even if I make this tuner highest priority, it seems to get skipped. I'd guess it just doesn't work with MP Tv Server.
    3) QAM from digital cable is a real pain. My cable company, at least, does the very minimum. The provide the minimum required by law, but they are not required to make it easy, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom