[confirm] Hauppauge HVR-1300 gives "Could not lock in to signal" (1 Viewer)

digidog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

Since changing to RC3. Several scheduled recordings just don't start, but then do once i start watching the channel.

Today I have setup a test recoding of the News at 10am on TV 7 which is 10 mins long

I started MP in Debug mode at ~ 9:51 and went to EPG. set it to record then returned to the menu to wait on it starting recording

Never touched it, but no record symbol came up on menu.

I waited till ~ 10:08 and selected TV. TV 7 News appeared on screen.

Checking the Recorded TV, I only have the section from the point i switched on TV till the end of the recording at 10:15

Here are complete logs with incident from 2010-05-22 09:51:53.357200 (when i selected from EPG) till end of log

Thanks

DD

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    re: Hauppauge HVR-1300 give "Could not lock in to signal"

Hi

Since changing to RC3. Several scheduled recordings just don't start, but then do once i start watching the channel.

Today I have setup a test recoding of the News at 10am on TV 7 which is 10 mins long

I started MP in Debug mode at ~ 9:51 and went to EPG. set it to record then returned to the menu to wait on it starting recording

Never touched it, but no record symbol came up on menu.

I waited till ~ 10:08 and selected TV. TV 7 News appeared on screen.

Checking the Recorded TV, I only have the section from the point i switched on TV till the end of the recording at 10:15

Here are complete logs with incident from 2010-05-22 09:51:53.357200 (when i selected from EPG) till end of log

Thanks

DD

The problem is as follows:

Code:
    2010-05-22 10:08:28.013200 [(29)]: dvb:  LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
    2010-05-22 10:08:28.035200 [(29)]: dvb:  LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
    2010-05-22 10:08:28.057200 [(29)]: dvb:  LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
    2010-05-22 10:08:28.079200 [(29)]: dvb:  LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
    2010-05-22 10:08:28.101200 [(29)]: dvb:  LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
    2010-05-22 10:08:30.033200 [(29)]: dvb:  LockedInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal

The scheduler tries to record on card 3 (DVB-T). This logs the error. Then it retries and retries (on the same card) until the time to record has past.

When you tune the channel the same thing happens, but tuning behaves different. When it can not tune the channel it will try the next available card. In your case that is also DVB-T which also fails the same way. Then it tries you DVB-S which does correctly tune. This results in you watching TV.

In the mean time the scheduler is still trying to record on you DVB-T. However when you succeeded in manually tuning the channel it will no longer try to record on DVB-T but it will use the already correctly tuned DVB-S card. This results in recording starting after all.

So your main problem here is:
    DVB-T does not work.

What i would try:
    Disable the DVB-S card and see if you can watch any TV, or if you can only watch it in certain scenario's

PS: Changed the title of you post.

digidog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have disabled DVB-S card and TV is running fine but will continue to monitor and try more tests

However this was definately never an issue before or even whilst using RC3 for watching TV (apart from timeshifting issue which has started happening with RC3 and also seems to observe similar fallback behaviour)

To give you some more info, the DVB-T tuners deliver an HD signal and despite almost nothing actually being broadcast in HD the picture is night and day over heavily compressed and badly interlaced SD from DVB-S (artifacts very noticable)

On a 46" TV you can recoginise straight away if the picture has fallen back to Sat, so there was not a problem with the HVR1300's not tuning previous to this or i would have noticed this. (I'm pretty anal about poor PQ)

I only left the DVB-S as a last resort fallback, previously i have had it set to "EPG only" due to the poor PQ, but had a few occasions previously where i ran out of tuners when recording so re-enabled it.

It's getting late now so will continue to test this out when i have time, but as it stands with DVB-S disabled, I have no issues tuning or changing channels. I will try the record test with it disabled to see what happens

Is there any timing settings i can change that may be causing this to happen ? (MP sometimes not getting enough time to lock on)

thanks

DD:)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you use the reinitialiase tuner setting, seems for some people this has now become necessary on RC3 :(

lordarcane

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Since rc2 i also have a "similar" problem. I sometimes have to try to start the tv two or three times after starting mediaportal before it actually starts. I get the message no signal detected, after trying two or three different channels it starts. Where is the reinitalize tuner setting? I´ve looked but cannot find it...

digidog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Curiosity got the better of me so stayed up to do some more tests.

With DVB-S disabled I have no problems watching / switching channels.

I can record one channel and tune to another on a different frequency to utilise both DVB-T tuners also with no problems. I can also record a 2 programs from 2 different frequencies to utilise both tuners and watch a 3rd from either of the 2 recording muxes also with no problems. If i select a 3rd channel from another frequency, i get the "No tuner available" message. All as i would expect to happen.

I then setup a recording for "Breaking all the rules" on TV2 at 11:20 and waited on the main screen in Debug mode. Again no record icon showed. I waited then selected TV at 11:25. I got a "No signal" error. I switched TV3 and picture came on. switched back to TV2 and picture also came on and recording kicked off.

It does seem to be a lock on / signal problem, but i have no issues when viewing / recording TV attended. other than the timeshift problem reported in my other post.

Today i setup a fresh windows / vanilla MP install on a new drive to test out the other issue i'm having with timeshifting, so i will also try the recording problem on this install to help eliminate/reduce any potential software problems. However the timeshifting issue was still present on the fresh install.

Let me know if you can see anything from the logs that you think I may be missing

As far as i can see it is trying and failing to record on card 3 until i watch TV and then uses the same card to record :confused:

Recording was setup at 2010-05-22 23:05:27.408000

Thanks

DD

digidog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    whoops,

spent so long testing / writing i didn't notice the replies.

I also can't seem to find the reinitialise tuner setting on a quick run through, but i'll take a look tomorrow and give it a go.

thanks

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Curiosity got the better of me so stayed up to do some more tests.

With DVB-S disabled I have no problems watching / switching channels.

I can record one channel and tune to another on a different frequency to utilise both DVB-T tuners also with no problems. I can also record a 2 programs from 2 different frequencies to utilise both tuners and watch a 3rd from either of the 2 recording muxes also with no problems. If i select a 3rd channel from another frequency, i get the "No tuner available" message. All as i would expect to happen.

I then setup a recording for "Breaking all the rules" on TV2 at 11:20 and waited on the main screen in Debug mode. Again no record icon showed. I waited then selected TV at 11:25. I got a "No signal" error. I switched TV3 and picture came on. switched back to TV2 and picture also came on and recording kicked off.

It does seem to be a lock on / signal problem, but i have no issues when viewing / recording TV attended. other than the timeshift problem reported in my other post.

Today i setup a fresh windows / vanilla MP install on a new drive to test out the other issue i'm having with timeshifting, so i will also try the recording problem on this install to help eliminate/reduce any potential software problems. However the timeshifting issue was still present on the fresh install.

Let me know if you can see anything from the logs that you think I may be missing

As far as i can see it is trying and failing to record on card 3 until i watch TV and then uses the same card to record :confused:

Recording was setup at 2010-05-22 23:05:27.408000

Thanks

DD

When i look at the logging it seems that it does not only occur when recording, but also on timeshift.

Since you don't have signal problems when you can timeshift / record i think we can rule out bad signal...

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    whoops,

spent so long testing / writing i didn't notice the replies.

I also can't seem to find the reinitialise tuner setting on a quick run through, but i'll take a look tomorrow and give it a go.

thanks

That is a debug option. Start TVconfig with the parameter --DebugOptions (LIke this for instance: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\SetupTv.exe" --DebugOptions)

The option he means is (i think): Always reset graph after stop

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nope, it's in powerschedular plugin "reinitialiase tuner" also restarts tvservice :)

Really think the timeshift problem is the clue, can you open both the recording folder and timeshift folder in windows itself, do you get a dialog saying you do not have permission to access this folder.

Maybe try something else that someone found worked for them, create individual timeshift folders for each card, now try and see if things work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom