[confirm] HCWHelper chrashes with Hauppage IR.exe (1 Viewer)

mp-user

Portal Pro
July 26, 2008
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 Beta (Same with 1.1.0)
Windows Version: Windows XP Home SP3
1. TV Card: Hauppage Win-TV Nova S Plus
1. TV Card Type: PCI
1. TV Card Driver: Current
Remote: Hauppage Remote

After updating Hauppage drivers HCWHelper.exe chrashes multiple times after Mediaportal is loaded. I tracked down that this only occurs if IR.exe from Hauppage is started (which is done by default after installation). Until now I mapped some keys of my Remote (via Remote.ini) to start external applications like MediaPortal, but this seem to be not possible any more as HCWHelper chrashes.

The bug report consists of two parts:
1. HCWHelper is restarted again and again, although it just chrashed before (if possible HCWHelper should not be restarted every time).
2. HCWHelper crashes when IR.exe is loaded (if it really isn't possible to get the control of the remote while IR.exe is loaded a nice error message would be better).

What logs would help for tracking down this issue?

mp-user

mp-user

Portal Pro
July 26, 2008
AW: HCWHelper chrashes with Hauppage IR.exe

How can I use the log collector? MPs Watchdog does not come up as MediaPortal.exe does not crash. Maybe this is another bug and watchdog should monitor HCWHelper.exe, too?

Therefore I changed log configuration to debug, cleaned up log folder and started IR.exe+MediaPortal.exe. After 3 chrashes of HCWHelper.exe I quit MediaPortal and only found MediaPortal.log in the log folder. Seems like there is nothing reported about HCWHelper... but I put this into the attachements [deleted, look next post]. No entries in windows event manager.

mp-user

mp-user

Portal Pro
July 26, 2008
AW: HCWHelper chrashes with Hauppage IR.exe

Thank you for pointing me there. Full log files attached and old log file deleted. (Please tell me when these log files aren't necessary any more for being able to delete them)

mp-user

tenuhseegeek

Portal Member
May 2, 2011
TN
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I was pointed in your direction, I have the same issue. What if anything would you need from me? I can send you logs if you want. I am using Hauppauge Colossus on MP 1.2b and trying to get the IR part working. The blaster side works great, changes channels on my Dish Receiver without a hitch, but cannot navigate with 45-button Hauppauge remote.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi tenuhseegeek and mp-user

To be completely honest I'm not able to understand the problem. I have had a look at mp-user's logs but I really can't tell what is going wrong - not understanding German doesn't help (;)). There are a few potentially important pieces of information there.

From the application event log:

[COLLAPSE]22.03.2011 23:41:36 HauppaugeTVServer (0) Information Die Beschreibung für Ereignis-ID 0 in Quelle HauppaugeTVServer wurde nicht gefunden. Der lokale Computer hat möglicherweise nicht die notwendigen Registrierungsinformationen oder Meldungs-DLL-Dateien, um die Meldung anzuzeigen, oder Sie sind nicht berechtigt, darauf zuzugreifen. Die folgenden Informationen sind Teil des Ereignisses:'Service Running' [/COLLAPSE]

The translation from Google says:

The description for Event ID 0 in HauppaugeTVServer source not found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you are not authorized to access it. The following information is part of the event: 'Service Running'

Doesn't seem to be an error message to me. Just an indication that the HauppaugeTVServer is starting up. Perhaps there is a conflict with HauppaugeTVServer and MediaPortal trying to control the remote?

Moving along:

[COLLAPSE]10.03.2011 15:09:57 MsiInstaller (0) Information Produkt: Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007. Die Datei C:\Programme\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveUtil.dll wird von folgendem Prozess verwendet: HcwHelper, ID 4204.[/COLLAPSE]

And the English translation:

Product: Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007. The file C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Office \ Office12 \ GrooveUtil.dll is used by the following process: HcwHelper, ID 4204th

That seems completely irrelevant...

Finally in the MediaPortal log I see:

2011-05-01 13:28:39.218750 [Info.][FilterChecker(5)]: FilterChecker: Found TsReader.ax from 15.02.2011 located at D:\Dienst\Multimedia\WinTV\WinTV7\HCWTSReader.ax

2011-05-01 13:28:39.218750 [Info.][FilterChecker(5)]: FilterChecker: Found TsReader.ax from 11.04.2011 located at D:\Dienst\Multimedia\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\TsReader.ax

The fact that there are two TsReaders won't be causing this remote problem, but it serves as a warning. Having WinTV installed could cause *serious* problems.

Okay, so where do we go from here? Well I just happened to have purchased a Hauppauge Nova S Plus which comes with a 45 button remote in the last two weeks. It is still sitting in its box and I wasn't intending to use the remote, but perhaps I need to set it up and see if I can reproduce the problem. Relying on me to solve this is probably not a good idea though as this will be my first experience with Hauppauge software/hardware...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: missed the system eventlog. There quite a few Hauppauge/HCWHelper related entries in there. It is *really* frustrating to try and read what is going on though because it is all German...

tenuhseegeek: do you think you could post logs? If you can then make sure you use the debug link in your start menu so that the system logs are included.

tenuhseegeek

Portal Member
    May 2, 2011
    TN
    Home Country
    I will get you logs tonight when I get home, I think the Office error would be irrelevant for me since I don't have office on this machine (dedicated to mediaportal). Will send machine specs via msinfo32 as well.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just a suggestion as I also use a Hauppage card and remote with no problems at all.

If all you use on your system is MediaPortal and NOT WinTV, then don't start WinTV at all. Also, don't start IR.exe - as long as you have the "use Hauppage remote" checked in the Remote section in MP Config you don't need any other stuff loaded. This way you don't start HCWhelper. I used to get problems with crashes - but none at all now.

tenuhseegeek

Portal Member
    May 2, 2011
    TN
    Home Country
    Ok, I don't have WinTV installed on this machine, I did at one time because I wanted to make sure I had audio from the Colossus, which WinTV proved I can get sound, just not through MP. Now I have been in contact with Hauppauge support on this and I think what might be my issue is hardware. They are sending me a new blaster/ir cable to see if that is the issue. I had suspected the cable (or worse, the card) as I seem completely unable to get it to receive any ir signals. I will get the new cable and report back once I get this part hammered out. I hope it is something this simple as unplugging and plugging in a new cable. [fingers crossed]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom