HD DVD with XBox Drive and Media Portal? (1 Viewer)

cool71

Portal Pro
October 16, 2005
Germany: Stuttgart
Hello,

I heard that the new XBox HD Drive is avalible and should also work with PC (WINXP). Special driver is needed.

Could this also work with MediaPortal. I think then a HD DVD software codec is needed? At the Moment WINDVD 8 or PowerDVD Ultra will work with HD DVD Films. How could it work with Mediaportal? Any Idea?

m0deth

Portal Pro
December 31, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Yes I'd also like to know about this, I think the PowerDVD7 codec and up supports BluRay and HD DVD. I have this in now, and would like to get the XBOX HD DVD drive as an addon for MediaPortal.

Also, where do you get the special driver for the player itself? I'm guessing M$ isn't offering it up with fanfare themselves. ;P

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I believe the drive will work with windows XP out of the box. No additional drivers required.

Google should turn up all the info you need.

pannivas

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    i dont think it will work with MP unless you set MP to launch an external Player (i.e. WINDVD ,PowerDVD) because the problem is not with the codec itself but with the HDCP encyrption located on the disc. I belive the HDDVD software used to playback HDDVDs or BluRay discs needs to be able to decrypt the encryption keys.

arfster

Portal Member
    January 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Yes, you need all sorts of extras above the normal Directshow filter chain. For example, the player needs AACS keys allocated to it, which no doubt costs lots of money.

DQ

Portal Member
    December 2, 2005
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Vista has the right drivers included but for XP you'll need to install them yourself (ones borrowed from vista)

HDDVD can now be backed up - there is info on xbox scene confirming that the decryption keys have been found!

I don't know anything else, but i hope this points you in the right direction :)

m0deth

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have the HD key hack,(not really a hack as it is a colllection of the keys) recently released....but I wasn't sure if the internal MP player would handle it thru the codecs or not. I spose it's about time for AnyHD and AnyBluRay soon hahaha. If this doesn't get any easier for those who want their media to jump thru their own hoops the way they want....then hollywood can keep their BluRay/HD DVD's...I'll just rip the HD off-signal content when played later....as will many others. When I get my new drive in....I'll have just over a terrabyte avail. so 8-9gig downloads/rips will be nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just going to wait for now then, I've spent far too much time getting used to MP to have it launch some ugly interface just to watch a limited range of movies.

pannivas

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    I have the HD key hack,(not really a hack as it is a colllection of the keys) recently released....but I wasn't sure if the internal MP player would handle it thru the codecs or not. I spose it's about time for AnyHD and AnyBluRay soon hahaha. If this doesn't get any easier for those who want their media to jump thru their own hoops the way they want....then hollywood can keep their BluRay/HD DVD's...I'll just rip the HD off-signal content when played later....as will many others. When I get my new drive in....I'll have just over a terrabyte avail. so 8-9gig downloads/rips will be nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just going to wait for now then, I've spent far too much time getting used to MP to have it launch some ugly interface just to watch a limited range of movies.

very good post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom