HD TV stuttering but ok on Win 7 MC (1 Viewer)

arual

Portal Member
July 30, 2008
MALAGA
Home Country
Spain Spain
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: win 7 SP1
CPU Type: Amd 4850
HDD: 500 gb
Memory: 2gb Ram DDR 2
Motherboard: GA 78gm s2h Rev.1.0
Video Card: ATI HD3200 Onboard
Video Card Driver: ATI CATALYST 11.6
Sound Card: onboard chip REALTEK
Sound Card AC3: SPDIF out
Sound Card Driver: REALTEK
1. TV Card: Hauppage 4000
1. TV Card Type: hibrid
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: zalman HD160XT PLUS
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I begged for help on the Newcomers Forum but did´nt get answer, so i beg for some help here

I have made a fresh install of Win 7 SP1.32bits It´s updated.

I have installed latest driver for ATI CCC 11.6 (I don´t change anything from the standart setup), i set 1080p. at 60Hz. (It´s conected via HDMI to my Panasonc Plama which display 1080p at 50hz. I change the ATI to 50 hz but didn´t go better.
I have lnstalled latest Audio Driver for my onboard SoundCard, Realtek. (No problem with sound), plugged to AV via SPDIF
instal Driver for my Huppage 4000 Hibrid HD TV Card

Install MePo 1.1.3.

Nothing else, no pluging, no skins, nothing at all.

I run TV Server config to scan for DVB-T channel. (I Found some HD channel).

I previeuw those channel on the TV Server Config Window mode and it´s seems to be ok, but when i set to full mode is geting worse and micro-stuttering on HD channels.

I run MePo Confing, i am using Microsoft DTV HD Video Codec and Audio Codec. I change to MPC and it´s the same.

I config Windows Media Center on WIN 7, , I scan for HD TV and they Play REALLY GOOD, in Full Screen. What´s on ???

After that i am crazy, i install the SAF 6 but didnt´solve the probem using Cyberlink PDVD 11 Video Codec, so i unistall SAF.

SD channels play ok.
Sound ok.

I have used the Refresher Rate Changer on MePo config , I think it could be the issue, but neither solve the problem, or I don´t know how to config properly.

It´s strange because with the Win7 codec should be ok, and it´s really ok on Windows Media Center.

Maybe it´s something i have to setup on the Ati CAtalyst or any special Setting on MePo Confg?? deinterlacing, Vsync, Dxva...

Any help please, it´s annoying to see how Windows manage TV Live and MePo not for me.

My Config it´s on my profile and I attached the log file whatching a few seconds HD live TV, without SAF and fresh instalation.

Maybe is the CPU, I see 60% usage on HD Live TV
Maybe is RAM, i don´t think so. 2 MB Ram should be enough

any Thought??

Thanks a lot.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi arual

I begged for help on the Newcomers Forum but did´nt get answer, so i beg for some help here
    It often takes longer than 12 hours for people to respond. Making more threads will not get your thread answered faster, so please be a little more patient in the future. ;)

I have installed latest driver for ATI CCC 11.6...
    That could be a problem right there. Many people have reported problems with 11.6. You could try rolling back to 11.4...

I previeuw those channel on the TV Server Config Window mode and it´s seems to be ok, but when i set to full mode is geting worse and micro-stuttering on HD channels.

I run MePo Confing, i am using Microsoft DTV HD Video Codec and Audio Codec. I change to MPC and it´s the same.

I config Windows Media Center on WIN 7, , I scan for HD TV and they Play REALLY GOOD, in Full Screen. What´s on ???
    Your onboard 3200 graphics is not very powerful. It can't always handle high resolution output + video decoding + deinterlacing. You may need to reduce the output resolution or disable hardware accelerated video decoding (have the CPU do the decoding work) to allow the 3200 to cope with the load. MP requires a more powerful GPU that WMC.

I have used the Refresher Rate Changer on MePo config , I think it could be the issue, but neither solve the problem, or I don´t know how to config properly.
    If you don't know what the refresh rate changer does then disable it and leave it alone until the problem is resolved. Fiddling with random things only makes it more difficult to help you. :D

It´s strange because with the Win7 codec should be ok, and it´s really ok on Windows Media Center.
    As I said, MP required a more powerful GPU than WMC.

Maybe it´s something i have to setup on the Ati CAtalyst or any special Setting on MePo Confg?? deinterlacing, Vsync, Dxva...
    In Catalyst, try:
    - reduce output resolution
    - disable *all* post processing (edge enhancement, denoise etc.)
    - enable "enforce smooth video playback"
    - disable DxVA
    - you may need to roll back to Catalyst 11.4 as already mentioned

Maybe is the CPU, I see 60% usage on HD Live TV
    What does Catalyst say about the GPU activity during HD Live TV?

mm

arual

Portal Member
    July 30, 2008
    MALAGA
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    thanks for your asnwer. Sorry for my impatient.

Ok, i´ll try with older ATI CCC version and will play with some settings, (Dxva, denoise, enforce smooth video playback...)

to your question: "What does CCC say about GPU activity during HD live Tv?, Don´t unterstand what you mean. How can i check this?

Did the logs i attached give some useful information?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    to your question: "What does CCC say about GPU activity during HD live Tv?, Don´t unterstand what you mean. How can i check this?
    The GPU has a "% usage" just like the CPU. I can check the GPU temperature and utilisation in the "ATI overdrive" section. Having said that, I run Catalyst 10.4 - the interface has definitely changed since then so it might not be in the same place for you.

Did the logs i attached give some useful information?
    There is nothing obviously wrong there. I did see a few dropped frames and continuity errors in TsReader, but I don't think they're anything major to worry about. You've done well. :)

arual

Portal Member
    July 30, 2008
    MALAGA
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Look in your Bios and find out how much Memory the Onboard GPU gets, it must get at least 256MB, better 512MB or you run into Problems.

Ok, i had it set on BIOS, 512MB for the GPU, i think i changed that, months ago.

I unistall the CCC 11.6 and installed the 11.4. i disable the Hw accelations on ATI config Video.

A bit better i think, but still far away from Windows MC HD live channels smooth picture.

I am desperate at this point, don´t know what to try next. Other than to throw it though the windows and buying don´t know what, new CPU, new Mobo, new GPU discretete, new house....:confused::(

My HTPC is on an close cabinet, so maybe the temperature is not helping, (just 10 min just running Windows SO and CPU is at 55ºC, but even after swichting on for fist time being off, (cold), is giving me poor motion on HD Channels also.

Another point, I remerber to have watched months ago, some HD channels without problems, don´t remeber which configuration but basicly the standard config with SAF.

Please MM135200, Would you mind give me some sreenshots about your config on ATI CCC 11.4. just in case i am missing somthing?

I repeat i can play smooth MKV 1080p movies with decent bitrate on MePo, so i don´t understand why my GPU is not powerful enough for HD live Channel that are not even 1080p, maybe 1080i or 720p, or even less. I have read that spanish HD channels are not real HD, but rescaled to HD.

Another doubt is about refresh rate maybe is the problem, (Source, GPU, and Display not same refresh rate?).

Is there something i can try last? or i have no solutions other than upgrade some item from my HTPC.? or just say bye to MePo and Hello to Win MC. :(

Sorry because it´s seem so basic i dont´ undestand what´s going on.

Everytime i think, it is for something, inmediatly there is somthing to negate that posibility.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Please MM135200, Would you mind give me some sreenshots about your config on ATI CCC 11.4. just in case i am missing somthing?
    My Catalyst is 10.4, not 11.4 - it would be confusing.
    The most important things have already been mentioned. For me they are under "video" -> "all settings":
    - disable edge enhancement
    - disable denoise
    - disable dynamic contrast
    - *enable* enforce smooth video playback
    - try using "bob" deinterlacing

I repeat i can play smooth MKV 1080p movies with decent bitrate on MePo, so i don´t understand why my GPU is not powerful enough for HD live Channel that are not even 1080p, maybe 1080i or 720p, or even less.
    1080i is harder than 1080p for a GPU to deal with because deinterlacing is *hard work*.

I have read that spanish HD channels are not real HD, but rescaled to HD.
    Rescaling doesn't matter in this case. It is about the resolution that the 3200 has to produce as the output for your TV and/or monitor.

Another doubt is about refresh rate maybe is the problem, (Source, GPU, and Display not same refresh rate?).
    Could be, but only you would know.

Is there something i can try last?
    Did you try reducing the output resolution to 720p or similar?

I'm sorry but I have to go to bed - it is 3:30am here and I have to work tomorrow. :sorry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom